Lights Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derek66110

Reaction score
Help, I've had my '94 110 200Tdi for 6 years now and thought I had dealt with most things but this is a new one on me. I was driving in the dark last night and had a sudden complete lighting failure: I had just indicated to pull out when the headlamps, side lights and panel lights all failed simultaneously. I quickly flicked the light switch and found that on the side light position things returned to normal, BUT without the headlamps of course. I made it home by using the main beam flasher switch (but lost this whenever I had to take my hand off to change gear , or when there was oncoming traffic.) Considering I only had about 7 miles to go after a 520 mile journey, I feel really lucky. I can also say that a small Maglite in the ptch black is next to useles and I will be investing in a hand held , battery fed inspection lantern! If anyone can point me as directly as posible to the offending item I would be very grateful; I already feel like I have damaged my eyesight trying to make sense of the wiring diagram!! Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be the headlight switch... I know that Land Rovers are not known for the best Headlight switch. If it is the same one they use in the Discos then I would bet this is the issue.

derek66110

Reaction score
Thanks Joey! I have only just managed to get to work on the Defender (it has been cold and snowy here - Pyrénées) but I have had my meter on the headlamp switch today and it is "dead" in the third (headlight) positon. Well done and thanks very much for saving me a heap of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM