Locking Nut Key kept in LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbutler1

Reaction score
Went to have tires changed and no where could they find the locking nut key. Looked in gloves boxes, center console, left and right rear compartments where the jumper cables and the jack/tools are kept. No where to be found. Am I missing any other locations?

I did call my old dealer where I had 40k service done as they rotated the tires. Wonder if they used the key and then forgot to put it back.

Argh!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is in a tan plastic container in my glove box. The container also holds some Land Rover gloves and the regular lug nuts that the locking nuts replaced.

Kbutler1

Reaction score
Unfortunately, mine is not in there.
Thinking that the last tech who worked on it, forget to put it back.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left my key on a lug nut, on the vehicle after a tire change, gone. I ordered a replacement using the order form with serial number inside original packaging which was left inside my vehicle with the 4 regular lug nuts. The company that handled the replacement was http://www.mcgard.com. Very fast turn around. I've since taken the locking nuts off.

Kbutler1

Reaction score
Well, took her into my local dealer, they sorted out which key lock I needed, called my old dealership who did the 40k service and they are ordering & sending me a new key for free (I think they know that they probably used it and forgot to put it back).
All good and happy that it's resolved.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've since taken the locking nuts off.

Wise choice. Honestly, I have lived in L.A. - the undisputed, undefeated car theft capital of the civilized world - for over 30 years and never once have I met someone ******** about finding his/her SUV on a pile of bricks, wheels stolen. Maybe on a fancy sports car, but a LR4? Half the crooks out there wouldn't even be equipped to lift this sucker off the ground, let alone stealing its very utilitarian wheels! :) However, I have met quite a few people with horror stories about road trips being ruined and wheels being mangled by a tire shop because of a missing or damaged locking nut key... What if the OP had a flat on the side of the road and couldn't wait for the dealer to do this and the other dealer to order that?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, wheels locks are more problematic than the trouble they prevent. I had the lug key roll away and disappear in the dark on the side of the road when changing a flat on my old Integra. Drove home with 4 lug nuts on. I went to put winter tires on my neighbor's BMW and he had no idea he had wheel locks or where the key was. Had to have the dealer order him a key. The only thing worse was ordering a winter wheel & tire package from Tire Rack for my Audi, getting a flat and finding out that the lug nut holes in the wheel were smaller than the Audi lug nut wrench. Of course the 17mm socket set that I used to install the winter wheels was at home.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Locking wheel nuts aren't too much of a deterrent, anyway, to a thief out specifically looking for wheels. You can hammer an impact socket onto the outside, weld a nut on the outside, etc.

Not to mention, most thieves would know the key is in the car somewhere, so you're a smashed window and a few more minutes away from your wheels getting stolen.

I agree with umberto. A thief isn't going to know how to steal an LR4 wheel, and they probably aren't going to want one.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these factory installed items on some models?

Don't have locking lugs on my '13. Which is a good thing. I'm bad about keeping track of keys I rarely use...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9