Looking at buying a 2008 LR3, a few questions. . .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lrrb

Reaction score
Hello everyone; I've been lurking around as I've been shopping for a new LR3. I've searched the forums and I'm still not clear on a few things (first post!) and looking for guidance. We're looking at a loaded 2008 (probably white; not sure what color interior). Here's the questions.

1. Any changes for 2009 other than the painted ext trim, wheels, new interior color, etc? Any new features, any improvements in the electronics (eg bluetooth)?

2. Are all 2008's the same or should I be concerned what VIN# I get? How can you determine date of manufacture?

3. Anything that should be done for a "new" car that's been sitting around for over a year? Should I have the dealer do an alignment before it leaves the lot given the problems I read about?

4. What are these new '08's going for; Edmunds says about $14k below list, about $9k below invoice?

5. I know this is personal choice, but we're going back and forth on the interior color: Alpaca looks good and should stay cool (we live in New England, so it doesn't get too hot) but Ebony will hide the dirt (Alpaca is very light) and may look better over time. Thoughts anyone?

6. Accessories I'm looking at are the:
- hitch receiver (surprised this isn't included, just need it to move bicycles)
- Audio Control Module: does this get wired by the cooler box, iPhone compatible?
- Side steps, my wife is asking about this, any issues here?
- Any other useful items I should consider (like body-side molding to protect doors)?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 LR3 HSE (Alaska white with black interior).

The only changes for 2009 are the exterior trim that matches the car color and the wheels. I haven't had any issues with mine. No recent recalls per my dealer.

I don't know what 2008's go for now. But, when I bought mine last year I paid 4K below MSRP.

I would go for the black interior leather. Anything lighter will show wear and tear.

I got my hitch receiver/wire harness kit from eBay. It was OEM parts and were fairly easy to do yourself.

I have an HSE, so my iPhone can hook up to the car via bluetooth.

I do have sidesteps and they are great! I use them all the time when getting in and out of the truck. If you plan to go offroading a lot, then you might want to pass on them.

I recommend the body side mouldings. Again, I got mine from eBay and are easy to install. I would install them during the Summer though. I too live in NH and I installed them in the Winter, and had to use a heating gun to warm up the mouldings. Was a pain in the &*&*(, but it worked fine. I'm sure it's easier to install in warmer climates.

I also recommend getting roof racks for your rig.

Goodluck.

Vince.

lrrb

Reaction score
Thanks Vince, I appreciate your comments. A couple of follow-ups.

On the interior color, do you find the black too hot (perhaps you haven't had it long enough to know) or too monochromatic?

Regarding the iPhone, I was referring to the iPod part of it and whether it's compatible with the ACM accessory. I'd figure the phone part would be connected through the BT and the audio would go through the ACM while it is charging. Not sure what control features this provides.

We're not off-roaders (not yet anyway). Can the side steps be easily removed if I find they get in the way? How much of a hinderance are the side steps if you do go offroad?

How do the body side moldings look are your white LR3?

Thanks again.

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I like the black interior. It actually looks fine. Not too hot at all or formal if that's what you mean. If you have pets or kids, you can imagine that light colored leather seats will show the tiniest scuff marks, dirt, etc. Sure, during the cold season when salts are on the roads, it'll be more obvious on the black leather. But, they are easily wiped off. Oh, i would recommend applying a leather conditioner before Winter to your seats. I read somewhere that leather loses it's moisture in very cold weather. So, applying a conditioner in the Fall will help it maintain it's suppleness. I found this to be true as I did it last Fall.

If you look in the back passenger console, there is an AUX jack input for your iPod. All you need is to plug in your iPod/iPhone to it and it'll play through the radio's AUX setting.

For you to charge it, you'd have to buy a car adaptor for the iPod. There is not a single charger/aux input harness i'm afraid.

The side steps are not that easily removed. I was going to install it myself but when I found out how many bolts are on there, I decided to have it done through the dealer. Oh, and if it ever gets damaged, it's covered by the warranty! That's why I had it done through them (I don't remember what kinds of damage is under warranty though).

Once you raise up the truck on it's off road setting, it's pretty high. The side steps can easily maneuver over rocks. You just need to have a spotter. I haven't personally taken my rig off roading, but personally I wouldn't be interested in extreme offroading anyway. I bought my rig for Winter driving here in NH. It's basically a Winter car and for the occasional towing, people hawling trips here and there. I do plan to take it off roading someday. It is after all, built for it.

The body side mouldings look great with the rig.

Attachments

• LR3a.jpg
    LR3a.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

lrrb

Reaction score
Great information, thanks. I see "LR3.jpg" at the bottom of your post but there's no link, was there a photo that I might access?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My interior is Black and I've been grateful that although it gets dirty from time-to-time, it does not stain and it's easy to clean.

I have sidesteps and sort of wish I didn't. If you plan to go offroad I would NOT get them. I would get the rocksliders from RS instead. They can probably double as side-steps and look like great sliders. When I'm finally done smashing up my sidesteps I will junk 'em and get the RS sliders.

...I guess that sort of ends the speculation on whether or not the sidesteps get in the way when wheelin. They do. I lose the aluminum rub strip on my passenger side a month ago on a tree stump, and I run the sensor mod (2" lift) and 32" GY MT/Rs! The only reason the entire step didn't come off is because I've re-enforced them with steel plate.

lrrb

Reaction score
Thanks Houm. Are the RS Rocksliders like the Land Rover Side Protection Tubes (VTD5000020, 10 for black) and can these be used as steps (not too slippery)? Do you have a link for the RS Rocksliders? Thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't personally have the RS Sliders, I have the darn LR sidesteps. I'm too stubborn and cheap to scrap them and get the RS Sliders. Mostly because in addition to the $600 (or whatever) it cost initially, I sunk another $700 into plating their underside.

Check out offroving.com to see the sliders.

lrrb

Reaction score
Houm, thanks for the info and Vince, nice photo - looks great.

Also, I saw in another post that "Interior upgrades include a new ‘almond’ trim colour and an updated Bluetooth system". Anyone know what was updated in the Bluetooth system for 2009?

Thanks.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Houm. Are the RS Rocksliders like the Land Rover Side Protection Tubes (VTD5000020, 10 for black) and can these be used as steps (not too slippery)? Do you have a link for the RS Rocksliders? Thanks.
There are 3 versions of the RS Sliders. Versions 2 and 3 have standoff tubes that can double as side steps. I have version 2. The sliders are not like the LR side protection tubes though. The sliders are MUCH better and stronger and protect the vehicle all the way underneath to the frame. Here are some pics of mine to give you the idea.
IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72