LR Disco II 2002 Cooling System and Other Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cornel

Reaction score
Hello to everyone,

I am new member from Toronto, Canada.
Someone on the forum said that it takes a special kind of person to love a Land Rover Discovery, and I am one of those.
So, the other significant other is a Land Rover Discovery II, 2002, 4.0, SD, 137,000km, got it a few months ago.

Would appreciate any help with identifying causes of a few issues.

First, the cooling system.

There is sound of air bubbles in the cooling system, heard around pass side behind the dashwboard.
The car gets heated to ~206F, sometimes to 215F, accroding to OBD II 327 bluetoothed to Car Doctor App/Android.

I topped the expansion tank to the required level, detached it, raised and unscrewed the valve to let air out. The radiator(s) look(s) clean, the fan moves air towards the engine; rotating the fan by hand feels as if clutch is in butter (...according to some related forum postings).

Sometimes, after starting and then driving the car (no heat/AC on), shortly after (15-20min?) the air flow opening (black) at the bottom and along the windshield (inside) gets very hot. Sometimes it doesn't. If it gets hot, simply quickly switching heat/AC on and off once will remedy the problem. Air bubbles sound is not heard every time eingine runs, but way more often than not. Once in a while a dull, plastic like slapping/clicking noise is heard somewhere at the bottom and behind the passenger side of the dashboard, my estimate is that it happens in the heating ducts or so; it clicks/slaps during reducing the speed of the moving vechicle.

Please see below googledrive link to folder with two videos, one of the running engine, the other, from inside the car with starting-running-stopping cycle. Also, a few photos. One photo of the thermostat.

The next thing is electrical.

Anytime I switch into gear D, also N and R (and not 3, 2, and 1), there is a clicking noise at the very left (driver side) and behind the dashboard. At some point, I replaced both long and short beam bulbs, as they gradually burned out and it looked that there was a direct link/loss of power/short circuit of sorts, between switching into gear and headlights/lamps. Currently, pass side headlight, with new bulb, became way dimmer than driver's side.
Fuses all seem ok.

If the above symptoms sound familiar, what is the possible cause and is the possible fix a diy job?

Please see video from inside the car, with starting-running-stopping and changing gears accompanied by the clicking sound. (Air bubbles sound is heard but not very distinct).

Some other questions.

In the folder (see attached link) there are photos of the oxygen sensors (both front only) - can it be told from photos if they are due for replacement?

There are also two photos of the sides of the engine; driver's side looks fairly clean, but on the passenger side there are traces of oil leak. How urgent is it in need of repair?
There are no leaks seen under the car when stationing or running.

And last, the Service Engine light is on. I understand at some point it comes on automatically, to remind of factory scheduled service. Unless there is a fault?
But, the OBD diagnosis, as basic as my Android App is, doesn't identify any issues, except a small leak in the muffler, which is...there :).

Many thanks with any assistance!

Best,

Cornel

LINKS TO VIDEOS AND PHOTOS:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz4CRplYia6ZNXpjVlhnTFZBZ0E&usp=sharing

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
bubbleing noises means the radiator needs to be bled of air. It takes a while...

Easy method, have the front end up higher then the rear either by a grade in the road or lifting it. Turn heat on high, fill radiator, run engine, fill radiator, check and repeat as needed till it is full.

clicking noises not sure.

O2 sensors you can't do a visual test to see if they are bad sadly. but most good OBDII scanners should be able to read if they are doing there job.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cornel you have a number of questions, If you PM me your number, I would be glad to walk you thru what needs to be checked/repaired.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4