LR3 A/C problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termn8u

Reaction score
Hello.. new to the Forum. I am searching for A/C compressor help. My 2005 LR3 (just over 50k miles) blows hot air and there is a rattle sound coming from the compressor (or so it seems). Is this a common problem? I am several hours from the nearest dealer so I am interested in replacing it myself. I had the system pumped down last night.. had about a pound and a half in it. First, from what little info I have found so far, am I correct in saying there is not a repair manual out there? Second does it sound like the compressor is my problem. And third, does anyone have some tips on doing the job?

Thank you in advance.

Geotrash

Reaction score
A/C is pretty easy to diagnose. If the compressor clutch engages when the temperature in the cabin rises beyond the preset value, then you know the cabin thermostat is doing its job. There are then 3 basic reasons why the system would blow warm air with the compressor running: 1/ There is not enough refrigerant in the system 2/ The compressor is either not engaging fully or it has failed internally 3/ There is warm air from the heater mixing with the cold air from the A/C evaporator inside the system.

By far, the most common is #1. Did you have the pressure checked and the system recharged before you had it drawn down? If so, then the next thing I would look at is the compressor itself. If the clutch is fully engaging the shaft and you can see that the shaft is turning at the speed it should, then it's probably time to replace the compressor and charge the system from zero.

Cheers,
Dave

voltaire1102

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a similar problem. When I start my LR3 and idle the air comes on and blows cold. If I don't put the vehicle in drive within the first minute or two I can hear vents close off within the dash and the air becomes 'room' temperature. Almost like it goes into economy mode. Once I go into gear and get moving the air works like a champ. Any ideas on this problem?

termn8u

Reaction score
Yes, indeed it was the compressor. After removing the belt, you could spin the pulley on the compressor and tell that it was just free spinning... and the sorce of the noise.. .. where as the new one felt like the pulley was actually meeting some resistance from the inners of the compressor. Replaced in just an hour and a half. Not too bad. pulled the driver wheel well cover and managed to maniplulate it in and out through there. Only extra work was having to loosen the power steering pump to rotate downward to get the bottom bolt out of the compressor.

Thanks for the input.

jeanmarcb83

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Lr3, it happens many time that my ac was blowing cold air then after a while it start to blow warm or normal air. So i should off it and then turn the ignition off wait a while then turning it on so it blow cold air again and work normal. Does anybody have an idea about this problem?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
may be just low on refrigerant

The easy suggestion is just that your system is low on refrigerant and needs a top up charge.

Pretty much every spring, I top up my system - not too much leaks out over the previous year but it always takes a pound or so.

The link below is to a number of files that explains how the system is supposed to operate. As usual, it is not like the simple systems of the past.

In our case, there is no compressor clutch as you may know it but there is a frangible link for when the compressor does seize; additionally the compressor never totally shuts down as refrigerant is always being circulated thru the pipes but in varying amounts depending upon conditions.

http://bit.ly/1dEULOt

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been getting progressively noisier for a while.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635