LR3 Purchased New 2005 105000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

conerly

Reaction score
I purchased a New 2005 LR3 in Mar 05. I currently use as a sales / family / all purpose vehicle. I have 105,000 miles and a pretty happy story to go along with it. I kept up with the services and the LR dealer performed every one of the updates on this talked about on this site. I had the tire wear issue @ 25,000 and the dealer put on a new set of Goodyears N/C. The tank was replaced, the air compressor was replaced and the suspension was also updated. These were all within the first warranty 50K. the Goodyear tires just are not that good and I moved to a Toyo tire just after 50k. I purchased the 2nd 50,000 warranty and it is good except for a $100.00 deductible. I had three instances of warranty after 50k; The power adaptor went out for the passenger, the low coolant warning returned once again (It happened in the first 50k), and the oil pick up screen had to be cleaned. Everything else, the LR3 has been a dynamo.

Other maintenance:

I replaced the brake pads on my own @ 40,000. (Too cheap for the $1000.00 LR Brake Job) Then @ 70,000, had LR do the whole thing, rotors and all.
Toyo tires are almost due with about 44,000 on them. Still good tread in middle / inside / outside. They never wear evenly!

I work closely with two other partners that have an excursion and expedition with similar miles.. there is NO comparison when it comes to the wear and tear. Their seats are as worn as an old baseball glove and about as floppy. Mine are stiff and comfortable. The interior pieces and parts have held up well also. Every switch, lever, button, lever, and touch point still works great.

I have USED this truck. I have a family of 5 and we have a family lake about 3.5 hours away from home and we tow the 21ft wake board boat back and forth during the summer. I

So if I had to vote for another truck....LR3 With NAVI / Bluetooth / Sirius Radio.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very awesome to hear...thanks for the update. I kind of thought it would be more solid, unlike the other rovers I've owned. I've been leaning towards buying rather than leasing again, you helped seal the deal. I have a line on a se nav cc xenons, 27k miles, 25 grand. It's a good deal and the bonus is I get to drive it 600 miles home!
congrats on your experience...

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very awesome to hear...thanks for the update. I kind of thought it would be more solid, unlike the other rovers I've owned. I've been leaning towards buying rather than leasing again, you helped seal the deal. I have a line on a se nav cc xenons, 27k miles, 25 grand. It's a good deal and the bonus is I get to drive it 600 miles home!
congrats on your experience...
Roverman - you need to quit talking about that LR3 and buy it, or I'm going to find out where it is and buy it myself :biggrin: That is a heck of a deal (basically identical to the one we bought a few months ago and $6K cheaper!).

Conerly - thanks for the update! This is really good info to hear - I highly doubt many people have this many miles on their LR3s. What sort of gas mileage have you been getting over these 100k miles? And what kind of wakeboard boat do you have? :biggrin: I grew up wakeboarding - unfortunately where I live in Colorado now, there are very few lakes, so I haven't done it in ~6 years. Snowboarding just isn't quite the same :biggrin:

-Rich

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post. So often these forums are complaint centers, since nobody posts about another day of trouble-free driving. We did get scared away by some of the 2005 issues you noted and bought a Q7 instead. The Q7 has been perfect and my wife liked it better than the LR3 due to the nicer interior, quicker acceleration and better handling. However, we're moving to a town with a drive-on beach and the Q7 is not that great in sand. My original thought was a used discovery but I like the LR3 so much better. I plan to buy a used LR3 once we finish building the new house.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roverman - you need to quit talking about that LR3 and buy it, or I'm going to find out where it is and buy it myself :biggrin: That is a heck of a deal (basically identical to the one we bought a few months ago and $6K cheaper!).

Conerly - thanks for the update! This is really good info to hear - I highly doubt many people have this many miles on their LR3s. What sort of gas mileage have you been getting over these 100k miles? And what kind of wakeboard boat do you have? :biggrin: I grew up wakeboarding - unfortunately where I live in Colorado now, there are very few lakes, so I haven't done it in ~6 years. Snowboarding just isn't quite the same :biggrin:

-Rich

Until you said this I didn't know my previous posts had gone through. I've been having trouble posting on this and one other site, where my computer just seems to 'hang' and do nothing - so I thought this was the first time I shared this exciting information, lol.
p.s. I just looked on the other website and found I'm being a redundant fool there too :tongue:

conerly

Reaction score
Gas mileage

I have gone as much as 15,000 or with out a reset on the info panel and the mileage hangs in at about 14.9 mpg for just about every type of driving.

If I reset on the way home from Nashville to Chattanooga, the average MPG has pegged out at about 19MPG.. driving with the cruise control on 68MPH. Bump it to 75... 17MPG!

I have made that trip many times and these are pretty indiciative.

Towing the boat (21ft Moomba Outback) I have reset for around town and city the the average drops between 10 and 12 MPG. On the highway stretch from home to cabin (225 miles) about 14.8 MPG

Another note about this vehicle that I am sure anyone wondering about the costs would like to know:

1st Year depreciation $26,000. At a 41% tax rate that equated to about $10,660 in taxes that I did NOT have to pay.
2nd Year depreciatin $11,500. At a 41% tax rate equated $4715 in taxes not paid.

Now:

(18,912) in Payments
($4,000) in Maintenance Costs
(17,617) in Fuel
$31,000 in Business Expense Reimbursments ($.30 / Mile)<--My estimate using this for business, not all use qualified for business that is why the 30 cents and not 48
$15,375 in tax advantage

Total Cost to own for two years: $5,846.00

I am sure you could fudge the numbers for better or worse results, however, my accountant did the math on the tax numbers.

All in all.. not terribly expensive to own.

LandR

Reaction score
I'm glad I saw this post. I wonder if someone has driven their Land Rover over 150k miles? I wonder if this car can do that...

I'm going to purchase that extended warranty now, to prevent any unforseen costs with my LR3. 11k and going...

surf_rover

Reaction score
the post is a LR3 that has done 105k not 150k but I am sure it will make it to 150k no problem :)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of several LR3's in the UK over 100,000 miles, but just barely over. They all are very happy. The little nitty things we get when they are new seem to be about the only real issues

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635