LR3 rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acsubie

Reaction score
Wellmy girlfriend and I always wanted a range rover but that quickly changed once we saw what they went for used

anyway i made up my mind that i want a landrover, looked at LR2 but they seemed too small for me, size was one reason i was looking to upgrade from my WRX

Rewind to June 08, saw a couple pics to LR3s and instantly was digging the style and performance it offered..located a liquidation dealer 45 minutes away which sold great condition off-lease vehicles

walked out with an 05 SE LR3 with just about 27k miles on it for $26k and change(options included navi and HIDs...my girlfriend and I loved that truck, we live in a shore town and you could find us with the LR3 on the beach about 2x a week..not to mention it being comfortable,stylish and safe

fast forward to end of august..5 good friend were making a trip to OC, Maryland and asked if i wanted to come...heck ya!! decided i would drive the LR3 up...got her all clean and ready for the trip..shoulda known it was going to be a disaster when i was 1/2 hr out of OC and a rock from the road flew up and cracked my front windshield:hmpf:..told myself not to sweat it for 2 days i was in OC and just relax(LR3 was still driveable for 3.5 hr trip back home)

OC was great, got really inebriated and plenty of laughs with the guys( one of the biggest laughs was the morning i woke up after the 1st nite with two completely red swollen eyes after a long nite of drinking, turns up i vomitted so hard the nite before that i blew blood vessels in boths eyes..i looked horrible:eek:)

Time came to drive home..All was going well into the drive, a friend of mine wanted to take the back roads insisting it would save time and being it was a nice cool day out i figured i'd take advantage and cruise with windows down!!!

We are all in the car laughing and joking about 20 minutes from home..then all the sudden all i remember was hearing my name being called loudly..it got my attention, but too late, all i saw was my LR3 headed right toward a lite pole in opposite traffic:albertein...it was too late, LR3 side swipes the pole at about 50 mph..

all side airbags deploy and i am i utter shock as i pull over....get out the LR3 and see the carnage i have caused..my one friend sitting directly behind me is dazed and is holding his shoulder..i have slight pain but nothing is worse than seeing the damage i caused, especially to my friend

Friend goes to ER, i decide not to while i wait for AAA to tow car and decide what to do next..had to call the GF to pick me and was dreading hearing her crap..LR3 gets towed to my house because i cant figure out where to have it towed for work

whole ride home im thinking of what happened, i remember talking and laughing right up to the point of about 5 secs of the impact, the whole ride home i was not tired or exhausted, even had Rockstar energy drinks in car and had stopped at WAWA about 20 minuted before..im guessing my body was soo tired from partying for 36 hrs with about 12hrs sleep and i feel asleep for literally 5 secs and caused this accident..also my last drink was about 16hrs prior so no i was not under the influence

Went to ER and i ended up having bruised ribs(was taken outta work for 2 weeks)LR3 is towed to shop 45 mins away that does awesome work, Insurance was contacted etc..i knew there was alot of expensive damage done, but didnt know what insurance company would do

Been Uber bummed for last couple weeks...Last week shop appraiser calls me and tells me about 19k of damage and 1 month in shop, they said it would take a month and would start immediately once insurance OKs..get a call today from insurance appraiser today who states that given the cost and time it'll take to fix they were gonna total it not because it wouldnt be operational, but just the cost and time associated with repair..Insurance appraiser tells me i would get a call from their Loss Dept for info on worth of car

I immediately start thinking i'm gonna be screwed since i still owe 21k on the LR3, late afternoon i get a call from insurance again and they tell me they have appraised the LR3 at 29k, i immediately think thats good

I already made up my mind, next car will again be a LR3, if that thing wasnt built like a tank im sure more passengers including myself would be hurt..this time im opting for the metallic color:confused:

Attachments

• DSCN1567_640x480_320x240.JPG
    DSCN1567_640x480_320x240.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCN1568_640x480_320x240.JPG
    DSCN1568_640x480_320x240.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 256

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear everyone is okay.

Is it in bad taste to ask for more pictures of the damange? Always interesting to see how a vehicle stands up to a collision and defends its occupants.

Amazing, but understandable, that the damage was almost $20K. Just shows what parts and labor will go for. Back in the day you'd just pop in some new windows, pick up some used fenders/doors from the junk yard, paint it all up and you'd be good to go. These days a piece of molded plastic can cost you $500 or more....heck, that's what a headlight assembly cost!

acsubie

Reaction score
all of the damage was from front door to rear, engine block and front fenders went untouched!! few feet over and i prolly woulda went head on and wouldnt be typing this now

lesson learned!

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, glad to hear you are all safe and well. The LR3 is indeed a tank!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is this a rant? Sounds like the rig protected you very well!

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only 21k damage? I'm surprised its so little considering the body work required. Wife's BMW convertible was 19k for simple front end collision. Glad all survived well. Sorry you lost the car, but lots are available now at good prices. Glad insurance company gave you $29k.

acsubie

Reaction score
insurance company cut check already!! that was fast, went to get my plates off the truck at the shop and also grabbed my rubber mats and mud guards while i was there

found a 05 SE Black LR3 with 17K mile on it with very little miles, only thing holding me back is the tan interior and lack of navigation, which i hardly used anyway

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I far prefer the tan interior, does not show the dust and dirt nearly as much.

acsubie

Reaction score
went to check out the black with low mileage, just missed it, new owner was picking it up..i looked at one with the 3rd row and did not like it one bit..ended up getting a silver HSE with 23k miles on it with tan interior,locking diff and navigation and the 19' wheels

im happy again

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99