LR3 Rear Window Support Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bada60

Reaction score
My wife had the rear window collapse on her head yesterday due to failure of the driver side support bracket/fitting that provides linkage for the right side piston arm holding up the window. Dealer indicated that it was on known reported defect to dealers and would only be paid for if vehicle is under warranty, I have a 2005 LR3 which is no longer under warranty. Anyway, the repair took 3 hours and cost $400. This is a warning to others!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what you are describing. Any photos?

bada60

Reaction score
Rear window support arms

Open your back window. There are 2 support arms- one on the right (passenger side) and one on the left (driver side). These are connected to the window frame, and to the door frames. The connection at the door frame (passenger side) failed and the support disconnected and the window dropped on my wife. I will be reporting this to the NTSB since it is a safety problem that should have a recall for all vehicles and not be treated as a warranty item.

Check out you back window and you will have a clue as to my issue.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is a common issue, and agree that it can be a safety issue too and LR could be handling it differently.

There is a pivot bolt in the d-pillar where the rear hatch struts attach. It has threads, and screws into the d-pillar. This bolt can back out over time, causing the right side strut to become disconnected.

I had this happen post-warranty about 6 months ago. The pivot bolt was damaged as a result. I was able to replace it (for under $2.00) and it took less than 5 minutes to repair. Not sure why your dealer charged so much, unless the nut got stripped (the part inside the d-pillar) which could be difficult to replace, or perhaps the strut got damaged.

It would be a good idea to inspect and tighten these on a regular basis as a precaution.

Here is a previous thread on the same topic http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15050&highlight=pivot

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
LAND ROVER / LR3 2005-2006

Service Bulletin Number : 501016
NHTSA Item Number : 10019761
Summary Description :
TAILGATE SUPPORT MOUNTING. RATTLE FROM THE UPPER TAILGATE AREA. *TT

Last edited:

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have been charged that much if the locking nut fell into the frame housing. It is a nightmare to locate the nut in the frame if it has fallen down.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what you are describing. Any photos?
Here ya go...

tailgate.jpg

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I got it the second time around. I was thinking the origional poster was describing the B pillar area initially, but then realized he meant the rear lift-gate. Good diagram! Certainly a well documented issue, as this 14 page thread demonstrates: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic3721.html

buddaman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my bolt fell into the pillar and the dealer had to cut the pillar to reattach the bolt, then re weld and paint. Lucky it was under warranty or would have been 600.00:hello:

chrismeece

Reaction score
Very old thread but I just purchased a 2005 LR3 for my fiancé. The passenger side rear window support is laying in the back, the area where the d-pillar ball stud is supposed to be is a gaping hole. Anyone repair something like this?

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
read thru the entire link in post 7
some repair suggestions are shown

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM