LR3 V8 BURNING HALF A QUART EVERY 1000 miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LRB

Reaction score
I have a 2005 v8 Lr3 that burnes about a half quart of Castrol 5w30 every 1000 miles.
Truck has 78k miles, runs like new, and doesnt leak oil. HAS anyone had or have a problem like this and or any advice for what I should do? Thanks in advance.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, if you check, you may find that oil is a little light for summer use, consider stepping up to a 10W/40.
I would check for leaks and if you don't see any, then I would talk with your mechanic and have him check the EGR system to make sure it is not sucking in engine oil or worse case rings and valves, but I can't imagine you are burning it off that way.
Let us know what you find.

NeilP

Reaction score
A bit more info would be useful !
Is this progressive and when did you notice it ?
Is it smoking all the time or bad on cold start?
What's the condition of the plugs ?

Last edited:

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neil,

I don't think he means its burning oil to the point of smoking on cold start,but over the course of 1000 miles. A quart every 2k does seem excessive, mine burns about a quart every 7500...

LRB

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the responses. I do not see any white smoke out of the exhaust ever so I can not pinprtoint when it does it. LR dealer told me its normal to use a quart every 7500miles. This is going on every 2k so I am going to bring it in. I have a Ford ESP warranty which is better than the LR warranty IMO. I will let everyone know what happens. I had a BMW 325i that burnt oil like this and it was an oil seperator. LR thinks over the phone it may be a pcv valve leaking oil into exhaust claiming they have seen this on LR3s. Hopefully I get an answer from them.

Geotrash

Reaction score
Man, you guys are strict. My Rodeo has used a quart every 1000 miles since new and hasn't gone up or down in usage 186,000 miles. Agree though that if consumption has changed in your LR3, it's best to get it checked out.

Dave

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99