LR4 Camera System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not involved LR USA yet. I want to here what the Service Manager has to say with their inquiry to Corporate and the LR Engineers.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not involved LR USA yet. I want to here what the Service Manager has to say with their inquiry to Corporate and the LR Engineers.
That's understandable, it's always good to try to stay on the service manager's good side. If they don't offer resolution and continue to push aside the issue, then you may want to involve LR USA.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camera system is exactly the same on the big Range Rover / RRS, no difference. They have the same issues on those platforms, not surprising since it is the same setup.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@umbertob - The tech and service manager told me that they use different components and that none of the trucks share cameras, etc. Again the tech's wording on this when I questioned why LR wouldn't use the same components across the entire family were "when you spend the money and buy a Range Rover, you expect to press the button and (snaps fingers) the cameras to work instantly. The cameras are high def in the Range, and the cameras in the Land Rover are just standard". I mean to me if I buy a car whether it be an LR, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc. my expectations are that it works...

@finlayforprez - I've been more than patient with the dealership as a whole. I placed the order for my LR4 Sep 2012 for all the options etc, they ordered the wrong car. Had to reorder, and wait an additional 2 months. Not a big deal. I brought the LR4 in multiple times for the cameras... The 2 service advisors got to know me fairly well. Not a big deal. But now, the tech and service manager are telling me I'm not using the cameras correctly and feeling like the tech is talking down to me because I'm driving an LR4 and not a Full size Range... Getting to be an issue. I asked them to provide me with documentation on how exactly the cameras should be used and they couldn't do that. Asked them to provide documentation on how not use the cameras and they couldn't do that. Asked them again if the flickering is normal and they couldn't say if it was or wasn't. I'm typically a very patient guy, but it's starting to get frustrating especially with this last go around. I sent the videos to the service manager and she said it'll take a few days to get a response back from Corp. So I'm giving them till mid-next week before I go to the next level.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with Spoonito on this one: I absolutely can not handle dealer service departments because of their rotten, often condescending, attitudes and frequent inability to resolve issues promptly and efficiently. Since the new range rover is selling so well, it got even worse. No excuse for a vehicle in this price range at all. BTW, I got so fed up that I don't own this brand any more...:ahhhhh:

handels

Reaction score
I've had camera drop-outs and screen flickering and blue screen issues on my 2011 LR4 since the day I bought it. I recently took it back to the dealer for a different issue, and they applied a software patch to fix all of the screen flickering and blue screen issues related to the cameras. Works like a charm now. Anyone having this issue should ask about the latest software upgrade.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From just this thread alone you seem to have everything well documented. Remember during this process the dealer is not going to be your friend when it comes to dealing with LRNA as it will reflect badly upon them that this is dragging out so long before getting LRNA involved. Clearly you should have rights (though it may actually be too late) to "lemon" the vehicle or at least threaten to. Start looking at your states lemon laws and gather all your information.

I don't buy their story about cameras being different (perhaps in the new RR or RRS, but not pre-2013/14 versions) as i have seen used RR listings with blue screens showing up in the ads on those with VA.

Through this all remember you WILL run into a point and time when NO ONE (LRNA/local dealer) is your ally and once you get an attorney involved all contact is through them. They will push back (seems the dealer is already doing this) and tell you it's your fault, but hold your ground. If you really want to stop them in their tracks do a little search on VA camera part numbers for RR and RRS of the same year and see if there is a different number, if it is the same, then you can put that right in front of the SA and SM. As well the tech will just follow procedure and service guides, nothing more, nothing less. When he runs out of information and procedures, you run out of options (in his book).

I am on another bulletin board and there are quiet a few people there who have gotten another manufacturer to do assisted buy backs (a way to not lemon a vehicle - but then it's on the used market with a clean title) and full on lemons. PM me and I'll tell you where to search as one member has this down to a science and can offer you some great advice (though the brand is different). GL . you have been far too patient and deserve to have this fixed properly or compensated if they cannot do so.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The camera systems are all the same... Even the many TSBs and Special Service Messages that have popped up since 2010 to attempt fixing flickering and Blue Screen Of Death issues with these poorly implemented cameras always apply to 2010-2013 RRS, LR4 and Range Rover alike. Part numbers may be different here and there, but only because the wiring harnesses are of different lengths depending on the model. The issues are the same, and shared across all models fitted with Vision Assist.

I must be one of the few lucky owners that has yet to experience a single issue with these cameras. Not even a tiny flicker for a split second on any of mine, knock on wood.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@handels I had 4 cameras replaced and new software about 2 weeks ago. Still having the flickering issue.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest update from the service manager...

Brian,

I checked with Land Rover engineering and as of this afternoon they do not have any information for me. However, our field engineer was here today for another vehicle so I took the opportunity to go over your previous visits and showed him your videos. He is going to do some checking for me to see if he can find any printed information on how the cameras should be used and what is acceptable by Land Rover standards. He has never seen any but is willing to do some digging for me.

That is all I know for today but I will contact you as soon as I hear anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM