LR4 Camera System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest update from the service manager...

Brian,

I checked with Land Rover engineering and as of this afternoon they do not have any information for me. However, our field engineer was here today for another vehicle so I took the opportunity to go over your previous visits and showed him your videos. He is going to do some checking for me to see if he can find any printed information on how the cameras should be used and what is acceptable by Land Rover standards. He has never seen any but is willing to do some digging for me.

That is all I know for today but I will contact you as soon as I hear anything.
Wow - that wasn't very helpful. I'm really sorry about all the run around. Are you going to talk to corporate? Maybe have your lawyer call?

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest round of emails...

Brian,
The information I received from the Engineering department at JLRNA was exactly what I typed on the previous email. “ The system is resetting its image cyclically, this is normal operation of the cameras”. I never received a report, just that one sentence in an email.

_________

The dealership is also not willing to find additional information on why if the cameras are resetting themselves "cyclically" they don't all flicker, why they do flicker in a non-cyclic manner, or any other info that I'm requesting. They are also saying LRNA will not provide documentation on how to use / how not to use the cameras, nor will they provide documentation that this is normal operation of the camera. Really frustrated. Calling LRNA tomorrow. I feel like I gave the dealership EVERY opportunity to help and provide answers. They are also saying that Land Rover doesn't share info with Carfax. But when I pulled a random Carfax from the net showing that a particular LR4 went in for service for brakes, oil change, and even a car wash on separate lines and the work was done at an LR dealership, they quickly came back and changed the wording to their dealership doesn't report to Carfax...

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am sorry to hear others are having problems as well. We have finally resolved my issue, so I am going to provide some information regarding my case--hopefully it can help.

Stay tuned...
Land Rover Joe

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is from the LR4 Shop Manual concerning camera issues: FYI and for clarity in descriptions.

Also, the two attachments are from the shop manual; one is the Camera system "video module" (located under the driver's seat) and the other is a summary of the major camera system components.

Land Rover Joe

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The special views are a selection of pre-set views that provide the driver with some useful driving aids. These can be considered as a shortcut to some pre-determined images that have been developed to assist the driver in
various situations:
Curb view: downward view from the two door mirror cameras.
Junction view: outward view from the two front cameras.
Trailer view: rear camera view of trailer being towed.

System Calibration
To achieve viewing accuracy from the proximity cameras, strict tolerances are calibrated into the system when the vehicle is static. Continual dynamic adaptation of the system then takes place when the vehicle is in motion. This is an automated process performed by the proximity camera control module.

This level of accuracy must be maintained after any service procedures are performed on the vehicle that affects the proximity camera system. Should the control module or any one of the cameras require replacement, static re-calibration must be carried out using the approved Land Rover diagnostic equipment.

Camera replacement is detected by the proximity camera control module, through the recognition of a new serial number during the ‘camera count’ procedure that takes place during the ‘ignition on’ phase via the LIN. This detection will log a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) advising a calibration routine should be performed.

Alignment adjustments to the cameras are performed using the diagnostic equipment and the vehicle’s TSD (touch screen display). During the calibration procedure, setup software in the control module overlays fine colored lines on the TSD highlighting reference points on the bodywork. For example, the mirror camera image must capture the side repeater indicator, the shut-line of the doors and the lower sill trim.

Direction arrows are pressed to shift the image in the desired direction to meet the reference points viewed on the TSD.

Adjustments include:
Up
Down
Left
Right
Rotation

When the reference points correspond exactly, the setting is saved and the calibration procedure is complete for that camera.

• NOTE: If body repairs are performed that affect the camera system, a calibration procedure must be executed after the repairs are completed.

System Fault
There are two possible types of fault relative to the cameras:

Camera fault (no communication).
Camera view obscured (see 'Camera Obstruction Detection' section for further information).

In the event of camera fault, a DTC is logged in the proximity camera control module and an icon is presented to the driver on the TSD (touch screen display) where the camera image would normally be viewed.
Each camera view has an orientation icon displayed in the top left hand corner and has two color states:

Blue – ok
Amber – camera problem

Attachments

• Proximatey Camera System Diagram.jpg
    Proximatey Camera System Diagram.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Video Module Diagram.jpg
    Video Module Diagram.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 58

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
~The Land Rover Joe Problem and Final Solution~

So, I had a blue screen for the camera’s and intermittently (normally not) would have a functioning camera (one or two). This situation lasted for almost a year, where I tried to troubleshoot by myself.

As I was driving in an exceptionally hot and dusty environment, I assumed the issue was a bad connection—i.e. dust/dirt on and in camera’s and connections.

I cleaned all the camera’s and connections, ensured they were seated properly, and cleaned the connections for the video module. This had no effect.

I also had replaced the battery, which did not help either (since the video feed runs on a very low voltage wave, battery issues will really cause problems with the cameras/video ECU).

When I returned to the states, the dealer ran all the checks.

1st, as stated previously, I needed the Technical Service update for new software (This is a well-known issue with my year) to include “park assist software.”
2nd, my LR4 required new “equalizers” (filters) installed for the cameras (Another common issue with 2010 LR4’s).
Finally, I required a new video module as the original was malfunctioning.
We also had to replace the (now old) battery as it was operating at a low voltage.

Fortunately, these issues are covered under warranty, so one should be able to correct them at no additional expense.

I have driven the truck for one day, and presently no further issues with the camera system. It appears the primary issue was a bad video module, combined with a software upgrade and some camera filters.

I hope this sheds some light on the issue, and I shall close this problem area (for me, for now)—

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, there is yet a new Tech Service Bulletin from Land Rover to address this issue. I posted copy here. It is a fairly new issue, so it may be worth revisiting it with your dealer if they have been unable to address the problem so far.

Last edited:

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover Joe, I have the max filters they will install, they replaced 4/5 cameras, but they didn't replace the video module.

Umbertob, I signed up for the box and it says I can't access the page.

Screen cap of my last service record...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 42

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob, when did that TSB come out. I had the last service performed late October.

Thanks,
Brian

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoonito,

Perhaps the video module is the issue? I didn't think there would be anything wrong with mine (it sits under me), but it seemed to have been the principle issue.

Just a thought-

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo