LR4 Camera System Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with JLRNA. They will not provide anything in writing at all, will not let me speak to an Engineer or other technician, and to contact my dealership to provide me with documentation (which the dealership already said they won't do).

They even said they aren't looking at the videos or pictures I sent and are just forwarding the videos and pictures to my dealership. I asked them to at least attach my emails and links to my case. Don't know if they are even doing that. I would rather not go the Lemon route, but it's really looking more and more like this is the only solution.
Man this sucks! This is not encouraging at all. Do you think getting a lawyer would help? Ugh. Lemon law seems like the best option, you have so much evidence!

If you went that route, would you get another LR4?

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong... I like my LR4. Would I get another 2013 LR4, possibly. If I could get one new with all the options I have on mine now. Would I get a 2014, maybe not. When I originally ordered mine, I researched extensively on what to get and test drove literally 12-13 different vehicles. In the end I went with the LR4 because I need 7 seats, the off road capabilities in conjunction with the fact that my brother loved his D90 Defender, and my father has had no major problems with his Range Rover Sport. I went with this particular dealership because it's where my father bought his Rover, not to mention other cars we bought and serviced there (they sell BMW, Benz, LR, and others). Between my father, brother, and myself, we have bought or serviced at least 7 cars there going all the way back to the late 90's.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going forward I'd make sure all communication with either JLRNA or your dealership is done in writing. Don't call, don't swing by and ask, send them well written letters that ask the same pertinent questions you have been asking, force them to write back or resolve. They will know what you are up to and either send you to their legal department or assume you are getting yours ready for the same. IF you are contact by anyone from JLRNA that smells like any type of lawyer, be careful, as while they will play nice and pretend to have your best interest at heart they will not. Once it gets legal then you as the consumer and non-attorney (unless you are), should have no direct contact (always be lawyer to lawyer). They do this for a business and will surely make you feel like you have no option but to suck it up and just take whatever they offer.

I'd also reach out to the ownership of the dealership seeing your family has so many vehicles from them. Explain to the owner what has been going on, send him a link to this website and thread....tell him his people are doing something wrong and your entire family is upset. Tell them what you want done, that you want what you paid for to work as was designed and described.

As well, a local news station, "HELP ME ***" or whatever can also help drive the point home, but may also really **** people off...but in the end, you are the only one who cares about you and YOU need to make them wake up and take notice!

GL

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rovernut, I did stop by several times (prior to it having issues so many times) and spoke with the service manager and advisors. Unfortunately I don't have those on record, but I at least have the five current records, and a sixth coming up since there was another failure. I have a long email chain requesting multiple times that I would like in writing the following:

1. Instructions for use (manual is very vague and doesn't answer any concerns I have on the issues I'm having)
2. The communications between the dealer and Engineer
3. Communication on LR letterhead stating that the flickering is normal (according to what they are saying)
4. Communication on LR letterhead stating it is their policy not to provide anything in writing to owners requesting documentation.
5. Communication on LR letterhead stating it is their policy not to provide the contact information of their technical personnel / Engineers. (My purpose for the contact information is so I can work with the tech / engineer to figure out exactly what the issue is). I feel that either they are not explaining the situation to the Engineer correctly and / or the videos are getting to the engineer to show the issue. In the email responses back to me they always avoid the word "flickering" and tend to use something else.

I'm sure I'm missing a few other things that I requested. My father actually suggested the same thing you did. Contact a newspaper or one of the "help me" type TV shows.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meant to say that the videos are not getting to the engineers in my above post.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are in good shape and have a strong case. Obviously those personal discussions will be forgotten, dismissed as here-say, or you will have totally misunderstood what they told you ("that may be what I said, but not what we meant!"), but your written documentation is strong.

Best of luck. Hopefully JLR monitors these boards as BMW monitors many of the BMW boards. BMW has interviened in many cases as a result of the chatter and clearly chronicled issues posted even though the dealer has declined.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got my LR4 back from the shop, And they performed the latest TSB for the left mirror only to replace 2 wiring harnesses. So no blue screens for now, but I have this when I checked to see if everything is working... The right front bumper camera now seems to have a green hue only in areas where there's a shadow in the frame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 34

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks a little like grease / grime on the lower edge of the lens. I assume you already checked to make sure a... grease monkey didn't touch it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo