LR4 First Driving Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cba20k

Reaction score
So I've done a bit of driving (just on paved roads at this point) now and want to toss my opinion into the hat.

1. Handling:
The handling is sublime. The ride is smooth and quiet, and one thing of note: Body roll is virtually non-existent. I took a freeway onramp at a less than ideal speed and found relatively little to no lean. Granted, it's not turning on rails like a low, stiffly sprung sports car, but for what it is, I don't know how they do it <-- rhetorical. I did notice a bit of understeer, but this vehicle isn't made for the track anyway.

2. Seats:
Seats rate as on the better side of average. After 3 hours behind the wheel, I was admittedly starting to feel like getting out, but that's a long time to sit in any car.

3. Fuel Economy:
I don't know what the EPA was thinking. The LR4 consistently logged between 22-23 mpg. This is quite respectable for a 3 ton 4x4 with a 5 liter V8. I admit I have a very sanguine driving style, rarely exceeding 60mph, so this might be a factor, but still, it's a far cry from the highway rating of 17mpg on the window sticker.

LR4MPG.jpg

I will say this though...the tank, at 20 gallons, is definitely too small.

4. Gadgets and gizmos:
Land Rover deserves an award for putting cruise control on the LEFT SIDE of the steering wheel...seriously...every car I have ever driven has it on the right. Think about it from an ergonomic standpoint for a sec. Everything you may have cause to pick up in the car whilst driving is on your right (assuming we're talking about left hand drive vehicles of course). Ergo, making throttle adjustments whilst sipping a starbucks can be a ***** when cruise control is on the right side of the steering wheel....oh wait...distracted driving is a bad idea? Screw people who think that, I'm a good enough one handed driver thank you very much.

As far as reliability is concerned, I have one spotty vision assist camera that comes and goes, but a trip to the dealer hasn't been in the cards just with everything else that's going on. Other than that, the LR4 has been rock solid.

visAssist.jpg

The stereo has a quirk that I don't count as a reliability issue...when plugging in an iPhone via the cable, the stereo seems to go through my song library and picks out songs it likes (I know right?), but if I go and select a playlist, everything works fine.

One thing I find kind of baffling is the BIG RED X button present on most of the screens in the lower left corner....why is a button that turns off the touch screen altogether given such a priority from an interactivity standpoint? It makes me think a lot of people who flip out that their screens aren't working, merely pressed that thinking it would quit out of whatever screen they were in, not shutting the system off.

The display between the gauges could do so much more. I mean there's a joystick devoted to it on the steering wheel and it gives me a few settings and that's it. I'd like to see it provide a little more info beyond fuel level, temperature, cruise control, and gas mileage. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong? It seems like competitors use their equivalent setups for things like secondary navigation displays, radio information, compass, etc.

And that's my two pence for now. Hoping to add notes on off-roading soon.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3. Fuel Economy:
I don't know what the EPA was thinking. The LR4 consistently logged between 22-23 mpg. This is quite respectable for a 3 ton 4x4 with a 5 liter V8. I admit I have a very sanguine driving style, rarely exceeding 60mph, so this might be a factor, but still, it's a far cry from the highway rating of 17mpg on the window sticker.
Yeah, I'm not sure what is up with that. Midway through the LR3 run, with no engine changes that I recall, the highway mileage went from 19 to 21 (I forget which) to 17.

Must be something about the way you have to measure it that drives it down...

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's great fuel economy! I am only getting 14-16 mpgs, but I think that it doesn't help I have a roof rack and rock slider/steps.

cba20k

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure what is up with that. Midway through the LR3 run, with no engine changes that I recall, the highway mileage went from 19 to 21 (I forget which) to 17.

Must be something about the way you have to measure it that drives it down...

Not sure I follow you...:confused:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22-23 mpg avg is AMAZING!!! I'm getting about 16 mpgs and Im not an aggressive driver by any stretch of the imagination. I don't have any heavy accessories either. I agree with everything else you mentioned.

cba20k

Reaction score
22-23 mpg avg is AMAZING!!! I'm getting about 16 mpgs and Im not an aggressive driver by any stretch of the imagination. I don't have any heavy accessories either. I agree with everything else you mentioned.

Just to be clear, that's highway MPG I'm quoting...

In the city I'm averaging between 14-15mpg, which is still better than the sticker, but nothing to brag about really. :frown:

cba20k

Reaction score
So being a stickler for grammar...I made an edit to my original post (I care about spelling) and it disappeared...does it have to be approved again?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I follow you...:confused:

I don't remember the exact date, but the highway rating on the LR3 used to be 19 or 20.
All of a sudden one year, it dropped to 17. It could have been when the LR4 came out, but I thought it was earlier.
Either way, it seemed very odd that landrover would make a particular model LESS gas efficient. It was discussed on this forum that the guidelines for how the manufacturer calculates this value had changed.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM