LR4 - Is there an equivalent in ride/driving experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear hatch is the main thing I don't like so far. But it certainly appears as if it's got the new Defender right in its crosshairs.

The MPG is also a little disappointing. Thought the new turbo drivetrain would do better than 17 mpg combined.

Other than that, it looks good. Front predator grille isn't too bad, and I'm guessing the aftermarket will make it look much better.

I'm also excited to see if there's a Toyota version on the horizon coming with the "Land Cruiser" name. I can see them bringing that and then turning the 4Runner into more of a bigger Highlander / smaller Sequoia.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear hatch is the main thing I don't like so far. But it certainly appears as if it's got the new Defender right in its crosshairs.

The MPG is also a little disappointing. Thought the new turbo drivetrain would do better than 17 mpg combined.

Other than that, it looks good. Front predator grille isn't too bad, and I'm guessing the aftermarket will make it look much better.

I'm also excited to see if there's a Toyota version on the horizon coming with the "Land Cruiser" name. I can see them bringing that and then turning the 4Runner into more of a bigger Highlander / smaller Sequoia.

4Runner is going after the wrangler and the LC is “coming back” to the US in Prado form. I’d guess.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Runner is going after the wrangler and the LC is “coming back” to the US in Prado form. I’d guess.
I think this new GX is essentially the Prado chassis (and also a slightly modified version of the LC 300 chassis), so I think the new Land Cruiser would just be a slightly different body.

Guessing a Wranger/Bronco competing 4Runner would be on the same chassis, too.

Would be cool if they brought back a removable top on the 4Runner or Land Cruiser.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat right now looking to add another ride to the home as the kids are getting to that point. We're keeping the LR4 (2013 with 77k) because it's just such an incredible vehicle. I've been doing some research and quite a few test drives lately:

Defender 110: Much more active feel on the road than the LR4, laggy response on the initial throttle, awkward shift controls, feels like a lot less for more $. Good visibility and the turning radius loss isn't that noticeable. Center row does fold flat if you have the 3rd row (I really don't get why it doesn't without the 3rd row). Where the heck is the adjustable arm rest for the front row????

Bronco 4 door: Bounce bounce bounce. Every bump is enhanced. Loud all around. Towing capacity is awful. Engine noise is faked in the B&O models and honestly feels underwhelming overall. They've also had a spate of engine and mechanical issues.

Jeep Gladiator: Just as much bounce as the Bronco. Intolerably loud at highway speeds. Overall basic cheap feel of most everything including the doors.

Range Rover L405 SWB/LWB (I've tried both): Closest ride I've had to the LR4, beastly V8, seats almost fold flat, very lux interior that really feels like it shouldn't ever be a daily offroader but totally could be. Still has the split tailgate that I prefer over the swing door.

At the end of the day, there isn't another ride that is quite like the LR4. It manages to be rugged and polished at the same time.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually been looking at D5’s. They depreciated a ton, however I still am not sold on the look. I’d love to have the diesel, but have heard they have some problems.

I’m probably going to end up grabbing a Defender at some point, but would like to wait for prices to drop as I’m in no hurry.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat right now looking to add another ride to the home as the kids are getting to that point. We're keeping the LR4 (2013 with 77k) because it's just such an incredible vehicle. I've been doing some research and quite a few test drives lately:

Defender 110: Much more active feel on the road than the LR4, laggy response on the initial throttle, awkward shift controls, feels like a lot less for more $. Good visibility and the turning radius loss isn't that noticeable. Center row does fold flat if you have the 3rd row (I really don't get why it doesn't without the 3rd row). Where the heck is the adjustable arm rest for the front row????

Bronco 4 door: Bounce bounce bounce. Every bump is enhanced. Loud all around. Towing capacity is awful. Engine noise is faked in the B&O models and honestly feels underwhelming overall. They've also had a spate of engine and mechanical issues.

Jeep Gladiator: Just as much bounce as the Bronco. Intolerably loud at highway speeds. Overall basic cheap feel of most everything including the doors.

Range Rover L405 SWB/LWB (I've tried both): Closest ride I've had to the LR4, beastly V8, seats almost fold flat, very lux interior that really feels like it shouldn't ever be a daily offroader but totally could be. Still has the split tailgate that I prefer over the swing door.

At the end of the day, there isn't another ride that is quite like the LR4. It manages to be rugged and polished at the same time.

Curious -- how close does the L405 get to flat? Flat enough to sleep ?

ugmw177

Reaction score
Yep, the LR4 should have been continued with some updates. There really is nothing else out there quite like it. If they had redesigned the chain tensioners to last 200k miles and used aluminum to replace the crappy plastic cooling parts the mechanicals could have soldiered on. Update the infotainment, perhaps new front and rear grill/bumper treatments and it could have well served in the 2020s. The Disco 5 is just a mall crawler/mom kids school drop off ride etc.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually been looking at D5’s. They depreciated a ton, however I still am not sold on the look. I’d love to have the diesel, but have heard they have some problems.

I’m probably going to end up grabbing a Defender at some point, but would like to wait for prices to drop as I’m in no hurry.

D5 is probably the most "practical" of the lineup. Seats get 98% flat, there is at least a vestigial remnant of a tailgate, and the cargo area is long enough to sleep inside. Loss of ~ 6" of cargo height and cribbing the profile from a ford explorer are really the biggest downsides.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the GX550 will ride better than the LR4, but I am still very interested in it. It won't replace my LR4, but I do kinda want to add one to the stable as just a daily.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72