Lr4 oil level meter capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the gauge is not absolute. It requires a calibration when the oil is changed, so it "knows" what "full" is, then bases readings off that. So, unless you've followed the procedure in the factory manual, there's no guarantee the reading displayed is accurate. Also, I've found what I drain out at oil change time is measurably different than what I pour in, yet the gauge shows NO difference in level - which makes me not trust the stupid thing in the first place.

As cperez said, I never have to add oil between changes, so I don't worry about it.

On a side note, I don't think it's necessary nor desirable to always have the level at MAX. In the middle is fine. I wouldn't add anything unless it asks for it. The only time you'd be concerned is if using the 15kmi factory change interval, which is a Very Bad Idea, as discussed many times in the past.

:confused:
how is what comes out less than what goes in? by how much less wld you say, like to 20 to 30% less?

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read the oil change procedure in the workshop manual, twice. There is no calibration of the oil level sensor that I see. What I read is, while in maintenance mode, check the level, if low add oil, ignition off, ignition on, in maintenance mode check oil again. It clearly states in the workshop manual the precise amount of oil to add, as per the capacities table.

Moreover, it is clearly laid out in the Jag workshop manual (same engine) that not all the oil is drained on a change. There are areas in the engine that are designed to maintain some insignificant amount of oil in order to reduce the effects of oil starvation at the upper end of the engine.

Cheers.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how does one really know if these cars are burning oil? The electronic measurement gauge is finicky and blunt on the best days and more oil goes in that comes out. Are we just overthinking and over paranoid?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how does one really know if these cars are burning oil? The electronic measurement gauge is finicky and blunt on the best days and more oil goes in that comes out. Are we just overthinking and over paranoid?

Check it the same way every time. Flat level ground.

I check mine with the engine cold, in my garage. My engine consumes a very small amount of oil, but its at the point where I don't have to add any between changes.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electronic oil level sensor is accurate… when it works.
I’ve taken a page from someone else’ solutions: Immediately following an oil change, I check the level with (drum roll please) a dip stick!!
That is, I shove a whipper snipper line down the oil extraction tube. And mark the level viewed as “full”.
Old school ways are the best.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so the mystery has been solved. No signs of oil leaking or burning but the oil was measuring 6 qrtz low. Turns out a breather tube cracked in the oil pan and the intake was full of oil. Surprised the car didn't throw off any errors especially from the oil measurement on the dash.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more i think about this the more insane it is the oil meter didn’t indicate an error. Im lucky the engine didnt go ****.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_9004.jpeg

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure - its a pretty big stack of records i need to go through. does the owners manual say when/mileage they shld be changed?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72