LR4 Squeaking brakes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sv_landrover

Reaction score
Issue with our 2010 LR4 brakes squeaking. Took it to the dealer and they said to slam on the brakes at a high rate of speed and all looks ok, I have done this several times enough to nearly vomit. The car squeaks EVERY time you hit the brakes, embarrassing! I have been in touch with LR customer service and have been waiting for a solution... after 1.5 weeks she said I could soak the pads in a solution! What a joke! For 65K this is what I get... My LR3 never had this issue. Come on Land Rover.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Issue with our 2010 LR4 brakes squeaking. Took it to the dealer and they said to slam on the brakes at a high rate of speed and all looks ok, I have done this several times enough to nearly vomit. The car squeaks EVERY time you hit the brakes, embarrassing! I have been in touch with LR customer service and have been waiting for a solution... after 1.5 weeks she said I could soak the pads in a solution! What a joke! For 65K this is what I get... My LR3 never had this issue. Come on Land Rover.

For them to tell you to drive at high rate of speed and slam on the brakes...is crazy! If you had that in writing...you would be holding someone's job.

I had this issues only when i goofed up and allowed someone to put on aftermarket pads. I assume that is not the case for you. Regardless, you should take the vehicle back to whoever put the brakes on and make them fix it. 2010 LR4....if you never had your rotors changed...that may be the issue as well.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed my brake pads last summer (at 14k miles), my dealer advised that while I didn't need to change the rotors, not doing so could lead to some squeaking. They did advise that the brake performance would not be affected if I only changed the pads, but said a lot of customers that change pads only come in complaining about the squeaking, at which point they change out the rotors and the squeaking stops. I checked with two local shops and got essentially the same answer, so I decided to change all 4 pads/rotors at the same time, understanding it may have been a bit of overkill.

For me, there's two things I don't cut corners on when it comes to cars - (1) brakes and (2) tires. This vehicle basically costs an extra $100 or so extra per month to account for the "annual" brake job (pads / rotors), although I may try to do just pads next time around to see if there's a difference. When you think about the braking performance and the weight of this beast, it is not so unreasonable. I've had other SUVs where the brakes only lasted marginally longer (maybe 20k miles), and they couldn't hold a candle to the LR4.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I changed my brake pads last summer (at 14k miles), my dealer advised that while I didn't need to change the rotors, not doing so could lead to some squeaking. They did advise that the brake performance would not be affected if I only changed the pads, but said a lot of customers that change pads only come in complaining about the squeaking, at which point they change out the rotors and the squeaking stops. I checked with two local shops and got essentially the same answer, so I decided to change all 4 pads/rotors at the same time, understanding it may have been a bit of overkill.

For me, there's two things I don't cut corners on when it comes to cars - (1) brakes and (2) tires. This vehicle basically costs an extra $100 or so extra per month to account for the "annual" brake job (pads / rotors), although I may try to do just pads next time around to see if there's a difference. When you think about the braking performance and the weight of this beast, it is not so unreasonable. I've had other SUVs where the brakes only lasted marginally longer (maybe 20k miles), and they couldn't hold a candle to the LR4.

Yup, I changed my rotors too and the noise went away. That said, my rear is still squeeling when I reverse each morning so that's annoying but I'll mention the TSB again the next time I go in.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old LR3 would deafen people at the drive-through. I mean, they were loud as hell. The only fix was to replace the brakes and rotors. Even new pads will squeal sometimes, though. I guess it's part of the fun of owning a super heavy vehicle.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, are we to assume these were after market pads that were installed?
How many miles on the rotors, have they ever been changed? Might want to consider going to a good set of Ceramic pads made by Akabono, they don't squeak, makes dust or wear out too fast, they also will out stop typical OEM pads.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pads that squeaked like hell were OEM parts. I had rotors done when I did the pads at 25K. This is on my old 05 LR3. I'm with you on the ceramic pads.

Can the issue be related to install, no matter who does it (dealer or DIY). Just asking.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, are we to assume these were after market pads that were installed?
How many miles on the rotors, have they ever been changed? Might want to consider going to a good set of Ceramic pads made by Akabono, they don't squeak, makes dust or wear out too fast, they also will out stop typical OEM pads.

Mike,

Where can you buy the Akabono pads for the LR4. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Thanks in advance

Craig

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge