LR4 USB Socket - Routing to Phone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xavier4or

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I'm looking for a "better" looking way to charge my iphone in my LR4 and wondering if anyone has investigated a way to route a cable from the USB socket in the glove box to the upper dash area?

Ideally drill a small hole behind the glove box, route the cable behind the dash, and come back out near the center left vent on the dash.

Thanks! --Clay

Land Cruiser

Reaction score
Why not buy one of these cheap adapters instead of drilling?
41NoKr6LHnL._AC_US200_.jpg

xavier4or

Reaction score
The black power cord running up the dash to the phone is the less than ideal looking part. I can't imagine me looking at that for the next 10-15 years.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped one of the cig ports for a dual USB port
b0736e3a7d75145897e3cdfe104dca4d.jpg

xavier4or

Reaction score
Lol - I guess I'm too OCD for that being a long-term solution. :)

Here is what I did on my '03 Disco:
IMG_0573.JPG

amneme1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1dbeb276f3ece481398b7cc39a9da45d.jpg

Belkin makes this and it's not too expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xavier4or

Reaction score
In case this helps anyone else - I ended up going with a vent mounting clip and running the power cord up via the usb charger.

Ideally would like to find a better long term solution - but that will be a problem for another day...

LR4_Phone1.jpg
LR4_Phone2.jpg

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a magnet holding the phone?

In my experience, magnets and electronics are a huge no no! They can wipe memory along with a host of other issues!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a magnet holding the phone?

In my experience, magnets and electronics are a huge no no! They can wipe memory along with a host of other issues!

Solid state memory is not sensitive to magnets.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was wrong about the memory, howerver:

The problem we found is that a nearby magnet will affect the internal magnetic sensors inside the phone. The compass won’t read correctly,” explained Michael Paul, an engineer at K&J, “What’s worse, if you stick a strong magnet to the phone, you could slightly magnetize some steel components inside, making them act like weak magnets. This can make it difficult to properly calibrate the compass.”

You might think it’s unimportant because you never use the compass app, but that doesn’t mean other apps aren’t relying on the same sensor. Google Maps, for example, uses the sensor to detect which way the phone is facing, and a number of games also rely on it to work out your orientation.

Magnets aren’t likely to **** your smartphone, but there’s a possibility they’ll mess some pretty important aspects up.

This is something that Apple considers in case and accessory design. In Apple's Case Design Guidelines, there are sections on Sensor Considerations and Magnetic Interference, including the line, “Apple recommends avoiding the use of magnets and metal components in cases.”

Manufacturers have to ensure that the built-in magnetic compass is not affected by their cases. There’s also specific mention of the iPhone 6 Plus, because of potential problems magnets can cause for the autofocus rear camera with optical image stabilization.

It seems as though magnets aren’t likely to **** your smartphone, but there’s definitely a possibility they’ll mess some pretty important aspects up, so why take the risk?

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-magnets-really-affect-phones-hard-drives/#ixzz4K2Yu7D9h

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM