LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the MKIV Range Rover and the 2nd generation Sport saw weight savings closer to 7-800 lbs when they switched from the old to the new aluminum platform (which the new Discovery is apparently also going to be based on.) So, I would expect the weight savings will be similar for the new Disco compared to the LR4.

I don't know where that article / blog got its info from, but it sounds bogus. Saving 100 kilos is... heck, I almost weigh that much after a hamburger too many! Hardly worth making a big deal about that, and we all know how morbidly obese the LR4 is considered in today's automotive world. No way it only loses 220 lbs.

Last edited:

stew77

Reaction score
The best images I've seen so far are at autoblog...most of the camo is removed in these, and I'm starting to come around to the look, even though I love the boxier styling of the current LR4.

Attachments

• landroverdiscoveryspy5-1.jpg
    landroverdiscoveryspy5-1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 58
  • landroverdiscoveryspy4-1.jpg
    landroverdiscoveryspy4-1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 48
  • landroverdiscoveryspy3-1.jpg
    landroverdiscoveryspy3-1.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 59
  • landroverdiscoveryspy2-1.jpg
    landroverdiscoveryspy2-1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 52
  • landroverdiscoveryspy1-1.jpg
    landroverdiscoveryspy1-1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 58

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted those last week. Getting closer to an official reveal.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Tailgate confirmed
This picture made me cry.

For the love of God...would you look at that friggin' soccer mom hatchback? :mad: Somewhere early on we read they were going to have one of those little slide out butt trays you could sit on. Those are an after thought at best, but let's see what it looks like.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a huge design mistake. The Toyota TRD Pro principle is to design for the 10% ******** enthusiast. This translates into a long lasting following. Land Rover has now destroyed that with this soccer mom vehicle line up...Boo Land Rover. Thy now have a little soccer mom explorer clone and a little bigger version. They need to expand there service and dealers in the US not design for a Spice girl. I bought my LR3 because I grew up watching Wild Kingdom, and we use ours and because the Defender is not available, they have now killed that icon also.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This picture is from that "Upcoming Land Rover Discovery to slot into Range Rover’s current market position" article.

What the f&*k is this tray thing? I suspect that shot is from the 2016 RR based on the text. Geez, I hope this isn't their answer to the lack of tailgate on the LR5 concept. It'd totally defeat the purpose of packing a vehicle full of gear and then still having a fold down platform to sit/rig/extend your bed. Ugh...

The only thing that tray is good for is bringing a few bags of sensibly packed groceries within easier reach of mom. :****:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Todd, but it's pretty and super shiny too!

I feel like I'm going to be giving up after my current one. If I wanted something that wasn't rugged and utilitarian I would have abandoned LR long ago for any number of options.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR just opened their SVO Center, so there will be a heavily modified/specialized version of the Discovery 5 at some point, including an off-road oriented SVX version of some sort. I think they said about 18 months after launch before it will be available. Whether it ends up being $80,000 I don't know, but in time there will be something beyond the standard versions that seem to be a little more focued on the masses.

Same for the Defender whenever they get around to it, although you could probably run through entire lifecylce of a new LR4 before one would be sitting at a dealership the way they keep delaying things.

I think the photo below is a Discovery Sport SVX concept, but you get the idea anyway.

Attachments

• land_rover_svx.jpg
    land_rover_svx.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM