LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, at least this video shows that they haven't totally done away with the rear hatch seat.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prediction. Most people will leave stuff on seats or in storage areas, making remote control seat configuration capability useless.

horns

Reaction score
You don't think you will use the remote while on your surfboard?

LR think tank says soccer moms prefer it.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the little fold out seat on the back. Nice touch, but I prefer the split doors.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the little fold out seat on the back. Nice touch, but I prefer the split doors.

For me.. it fails at an important function of a fold down tailgate. You can't use it with the upper tailgate closed. With a roof rack/case/load/mount whatever... you can't stand on the lower tailgate on the D5 and stand on the lower tailgate.

I have a ladder, yes, but its not as functional for just standing on the back to grab things from the roof. I have pelican 1740 transport cases on my roof, its damn nice to just stand on the tailgate and pull gear out.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap that video is funny!!!! Let me break down a few of the commercial highlights the marketting geniuses at LR worked up with Laird...

Laird's massive thigh cannot fit on the new bench seat;
Capture11a-vi.jpg

But look how comfortable he is when he scoots his whole ass in the back of the car so he can sit down...
Capture11b-vi.jpg

A world renowned surfer like Lance MOST DEFINITELY surfs with a cell phone hanging out of his board shorts pocket. I mean, there is no way he would lose this and the man's got his priorities. Phones over surfing, bros! Phones first.
Capture11c-vi.jpg

Still though, Lance is a nice guy, and he picks up these 4 other surfers, all with boards, to give a ride home. He even made sure to adjust the seats from the water because, I mean, who has time to push a button once you get to the car, right? And like others have mentioned, there is no chance that he had board bags, towels or dry clothes in the back that would have prevented a remote seat deploy...
Capture11d-vi.jpg

..."hey SORRY FREELOADERS! You can have a ride but I'm not bringing your boards. My son's and mine only. Don't like it? Start walking!"
Capture11e-vi.jpg

They are trying really hard, I'll give them that.
But they are obviously focused on the wrong things.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll point out another HUGE flaw with this new design....

...look how high the rear lift gate raises above the rear of the vehicle. I regularly have long kayaks, canoes or paddle boards on top of my truck that overhang the rear of the car. *** happens now? The new liftgate is a massive structure raising way higher than the current lightweight lift glass rises.

Did you see how long Laird's board was in the video? Notice it isn't on the car here? There is no way he had that board on the car and was able to raise up the liftgate. That is real convenient "okay, everybody, we're at the beach!! Now let's take everything off the roof, even if we're not going to use it, so we can open up the back and sit on the mini tailgate and get to the cooler." Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, are you kidding me?

Capture11b-vi.jpg

Can we no longer access the rear of the car with long items on the roof? @#$%?!

This new rear lift gate design sucks the big one.

horns

Reaction score
Groceries will fit fine. Does it come with a soccer ball pump or is that an LR accessory?

Hplr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yet another reason used LR4s are selling like hotcakes! I just picked up a 2015 LR4 and it was slim pickings. Dealer told me the used LR4s are flying out the door because people prefer the styling to the new Discovery. I like the new Discovery though, it looks like a RR Sport in many ways...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM