LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appears the base model includes a tow accessory while $650 gets you a receiver, wiring and a different bumper with cutout to accommodate the receiver/wiring. For the base model where are the safety chain attachment points?

In summary it creates another item (checklist) that will narrow the preowned market selection for those that need to tow.

jmars

Reaction score
I want to like it. Overall there are some real nice and necessary upgrades but the styling to me is a bust. The interior is eh....yeah eh....doesn't excite me but is now in line and modern.

I just feel that all LRs now have an identity crisis. We know the difference but the general public doesn't. If you told me it was a new Lexus or like all have said "Explorer" I'd think that the designers did well....but not LR.

I like trucks and maybe I'm stuck in my ways to what a truck is....the LR4 is more truck to me and that's what I appreciate about it. Just my .02

I'm sure a ton will sell with coil suspension.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phew! Thanks @LR4USN . If you can get that version, it looks like there is a receiver there. Can't think why they'd put the dongle hitch on there as the only option and alleniate the entire market that uses hitch mounted accessories.

The Discovery is back in the running of my LR4 vs. Discover internal debate! :dontknow:

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the flip down trailer hitch will not be a US option, but rather we'll get the same sort of thing available on the LR4 and shown in the pics above.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure a ton will sell with coil suspension.

I am not so sure about that, my guess is that most "Poverty spec" Disco SEs will arrive with the EAS option pre-installed here. It's strange they are offering coilers at all in NAS models. In most other markets abroad, UK and Eurpoean countries included, electronic air suspensions are standard equipment on all new Discos, including barebone S trims with cloth seats that aren't even offered here in North America. It was probably done so they could advertise it as "starting under $50K", but I don't think there will be that many coilers on dealers' lots to choose from next year.

Last edited:

jmars

Reaction score
You are probably right..... I envision spec'd versions with all the tech for your cell phone but not the tech for the "offroad".

Some will get this reference if you are a Seinfeld fan.....the new Disco is very "Vegetable Lasagna" :D

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That electric swing-out hitch is Europe only. But I am looking forward to one of my kids pushing the "open electric hatch" button with the bike rack installed.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those photos, Umberto! Wow - they were great!

I hope everyone is doing well. I saw the new Discovery at the San Francisco auto show on Monday, but you really could not get up close and personal because they were doing 90-second tours only. The Land Rover tour guy was obsessed with the split tailgate type feature and kept going on and on about it being industry leading. I am not even sure what he means because the current LR4 has a split tail gate? I asked him a couple questions, but he just kept saying that he will e-mail me a digital brochure. Like I said they only had one Discovery and it was away from the other rovers so it was really hard to see the scale against the Discovery Sport and Range Rover Sport. I thought the interior looked nice, very much in line with the Range Rover Sport, but it all just feels so small and not as much of a "presence" as the previous models.

It was great to see the new Discovery in person, but it confirmed my belief that I will NOT be getting one. I still plan to keep my LR4 long term and would consider the new Defender (depending if it fits my needs), unless I sell my LR4 for a Land Cruiser, Lexus GX, or Mercedes G. I know I say that all the time, but I still love my LR4.

Happy Thanksgiving!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen pictures of the new truck in Green or Blue?

I've seen the representations on the website, but they don't always show the best tint.
I like the green on my LR3 (Tonga?) but never liked the green on the LR4. The Discovery looks like something in between but it's tough to tell.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@umbertob how was the roominess when you were sitting inside it?

I like how open the LR3/LR4 feels inside due to the high ceiling. It actually seems bigger than it is due to the height (you forget how narrow it is compared to a Tahoe, for instance). However, it isn't clear to me if the new roof-line of the truck changes the feel inside. Was hoping it doesn't have that cramped feeling of the RRS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99