Lug nut Mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
Thought I would check in here, see if anyone running the Gorilla lugs has a report on their longer term reliatiblity.

Today I had my new Compo's installed and really want to get black lugs to match. installer discouraged me from using the Gorilla as the measurements are not equivilant to the originals.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, they are definitely and upgrade over the original lug nuts, which I was never a big fan of. The size looks like an exact match to me and, as mentioned earlier in this thread, Gorilla lug nuts are a solid piece, without that silly "tin cap" of the OEMs that so often gets deformed over time, eventually making it problematic to fit a 22mm socket over them without lots of hammering and swearing. I've had my Gorilla nuts for about 4 years now, and they are still in great shape. The black finish seems durable too, no noticeable peeling, chipping or flaking.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the factory nuts turn into a 7/8" socket after the shop blasts them with an air ratchet a few times. Those assholes ought to know better.

Keep in mind Gorilla states "no air tools". I always use a breaker to loosen partial turn then air or cordless for quick off. I always start them on again by hand to ensure proper threading.

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. The shop that installed my wheels/tires is a great place, they equip various vehicles for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb and I would defiantly recommend. Rex Tires in COLO Springs, CO.

In the ideal I am sure he is correct, I should use lugs identical in shape to the OME. If I can ge the pics uploaded I will share. But it sounds like the gorillas are a really good second best option!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. The shop that installed my wheels/tires is a great place, they equip various vehicles for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb and I would defiantly recommend. Rex Tires in COLO Springs, CO.

In the ideal I am sure he is correct, I should use lugs identical in shape to the OME. If I can ge the pics uploaded I will share. But it sounds like the gorillas are a really good second best option!

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say but the gorillas are 100% identical shape and have the floating captured washer as well.

And it's OEM (original equipment manufacturing) , not OME (old man emu - Australian suspension parts) ;)

ClearwaterScott

Reaction score
During the research phase I emailed gorilla direct regarding part fit for the Competitive wheels. Here is the response:

From the website it appears that the wheels are designed to use the OEM lug nuts. If that is correct, my part number 75148RBC is a black “Land Rover” style lug nut designed to replace the lugs on 2006+ applications.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72