Maiden Voyage (Boat Sunk)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came across what appeared to be a nice rolling field to see how the rig handled in 4x4 mode. I tried getting out on my own and eventually called a tow truck. The tow truck got stuck too and then another needed to get him pulled out. There was about an hour when they thought they weren't going to be able to get me out. The problem is that I was so far in they needed multiple cables to reach my recovery hook on the rear bumper. Once they did get me out, I was able to drive down the pavement w/o problem. Took it to the car wash and pressure rinsed the underside real good. After, I took it through the touchless carwash and it came out looking like it did before my boneheaded move. Guess it's not as easy as they make it look in those YouTube videos.

Attachments

• IMG_20230401_101426.jpg
    IMG_20230401_101426.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20230401_101436.jpg
    IMG_20230401_101436.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230401_131322.jpg
    IMG_20230401_131322.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230401_131342.jpg
    IMG_20230401_131342.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20230401_133730.jpg
    IMG_20230401_133730.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 51

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, ktm525, I hear ya. I felt awful when the tow truck guy looked at me and shook his head, saying, "I'm not sure we can get to you to pull you out." Those aren't the words you want to hear when you are a football field off the main road and buried up to your axles. I don't know how many times I said today, "I'm an idiot" (both to myself and others).

alldazed

Reaction score
Are there any off roading clubs in your area ? There is one in my area - far from you - they are having their first meet of the year in two weeks aimed at newbies in stock vehicles. Not Land Rover specific. At least there are people to help out and it’s not going to be too crazy. Might be worth you looking into it in your area too.
Ktm525 is right, we’ve all been there. My stupid moment was on Lake Huron in a shallow bay in a grand marquis and the ice gave way. No tow truck would come. Had to lug big stones/ small rocks to make a roadway to thicker ice. Took hours.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't totally tell from the pics, but I'm guessing street tires?

If you want to use this as a dual-purpose car, I'd look into at least a mild AT, maybe something like a Cooper AT3 ?

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mm3846 I certainly wish I would have had some. I went to the neighbor's trailer and asked them if they had anything I could use. They had stump ends of 2x8 planks about the size of the Maxtrax. I used my hands to dig out the mud at the base of the tires and wedged the wood under but that didn't do the trick. Also, talking to the tow guys I mentioned that option (Maxtrax) and they were of the opinion that it wouldn't have been enough. As they were pulling me out (in neutral), I could feel the mud clinging to the tires and undercarriage. It was like having a rubber boot stuck in the mud and trying to lift your leg up and out.

I was in the vehicle when they hooked up and pulled me out. It was just slogging through the mud tracks. It wasn't just the tires, but the muddy ground making contact with the undercarriage. I really believe the only way I was going to get out of there was being pulled out by a cable or chain.

hickersb, they are Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 19" (They came with the vehicle). The tread seems pretty aggressive and reasonably fresh. The problem is that once they got coated in that mud, it was game over. I wouldn't be surprised if I were to go there in the middle of the summer once things had dried out and firmed up that I could drive that same path without any problems. (Not that I am going back there. Lesson learned.)

I went in with the rig in with the frame lifted to off-road and in low-range with the mud and rut special program. I wasn't going fast, just testing it out to see how it would respond. Maybe that wasn't the way to best approach those conditions, but in all honesty I had no business being out there to begin with (especially on my own).

Last edited:

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had a GAP tool, it’s possible you could have jacked up the air suspension all the way and it would have gotten you out easier. But if you’re high centered on the undercarriage and the ruts are from bigger tires than yours, you’re SOL.

I got stuck real bad like that in my old Jeep in college in the middle of nowhere, had to use my hi-lift jack to shove tree branches under the tires. Bent up my stock bumpers pretty bad but I got out.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that is what I was thinking as well, jack. I could have used those planks to place the foot of the jack on and lifted each wheel to get stuff underneath them, like you said. Would it have worked? I don't know. I have to believe with enough time, effort and ingenuity there had to be a way out.

One of the tow guys mentioned that if I had a rear winch that would have done the trick as well. I could have hooked up to a tree and "Bob's your uncle".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72