Making the LR3 trail ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trynian

Reaction score
Houm, If the opportunity presents itself this weekend I will show you how they can contact!!! You have to have the suspension fully extended to see it. If I can find something to get one wheel off the ground I will show you...

And you are correct altered rods do not effect the geometry but the spacers absolutely do!

Yep, when the suspension is extended out the upper arms get really close to the air spring.

When the weight is right there is just enough flex in the bushings to let the control arm contact the spring especially if the bushings are worn.

easiest way to observe how close is to jack the car up until the air spring is fully extended.

I have observed the nicks on the springs on several LR3s that do alot of heavier off-roading.

I ground a little off the control arm in the area that gets really close to give me a little more room.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not going to wheel any harder than I already do. 7 years no nicks...maybe I won't worry too much, but I may want to grind it down if I ever see signs of it.

...I'd hate to weaken the control arm any though.

Trynian

Reaction score
Well I'm not going to wheel any harder than I already do. 7 years no nicks...maybe I won't worry too much, but I may want to grind it down if I ever see signs of it.

...I'd hate to weaken the control arm any though.

I had that concern. After I really examined the arm design and the location where the contact would occur it was pretty clear to me that the location I needed to grind did not appear to have any structural value to the arm.

It was really just a couple millimeters that I took off and smoothed the edge of the arm.

Just check once in a while for any nicks in the aluminum especially if you have done any full articulation wheeling.

I put some monster duct tape over the nick spot on mine and check it after I do some harder wheeing and if the tape is nicked it is better then the aluminum. Just a new piece of tape goes on it.

Last edited:

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A machinist does not equal an engineer. An aluminum puck, when used as a air spring spacer (or any type of spring or shock) is not a static component once installed. Specific geometry and significant forces are applied to the system. Detailed engineering, testing and R&D is critical to safe operation of the modified vehicle and the aftermarket component itself. If anyone can produce some sort of engineering report for the Toddco spacer lift designed for the LR3/LR4/RRS platform, I will be shocked.
Multiple canister failures have been documented so far. This tells me that proper R&D has not been done. Modern Rovers with the Independent front and rear suspensions are worlds apart from "classic" Rovers that are solid axle. Solid axles cycle in a near vertical fashion and are much less prone to weird geometry issues of a coil spacer. Independent suspensions cycle in an arcing manner. By adding the spacer, you have effectively modified the fulcrum point to which the arms cycle from - different from Land Rover engineering design - resulting in component movement that is altered. LR did not allow for this in it's engineering. The arm now rubs the canister in certain extreme conditions.
This is not a rod-mod vs spacer argument. This is only an opinion which seems to hold water due to the reported failures by using this specific product.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan and I did some "field testing" today. We took turns (along with GeoRover) crawling onto a huge boulder on our driver's side such that our passenger side front wheel hung freely. We looked at each control arm and air shock for our respective vehicles.

Ryan's were touching. Mine were not; I could put my fingers in between the arm and the cannister (I run the rod-mod and 32s, BTW) and under Geo's rig I could practically twiddle my thumbs between the arm and the cannister.

This really makes me shrug my shoulders, as does the whole wiring harness thing (for the height sensor on the driver's side) seeing how I have a ton of clearance between my 275 series tires and the wires while others have had to move theirs.

Don't they use robots to build cars these days? How can there be so much variation? I agree with Hammy though...you start dickin' around with the orientation of the air shock and there certainly can be interference with the control arm.

Trynian

Reaction score
Based on my review of the suspension geometry. I believe that the caster and camber settings on the lower controls arm have some influence on how close the upper control arm gets to the canister.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90