Making the LR3 trail ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What I'm getting at is that any tube style, oem or custom, isn't really going to "do" much for you. The oem one is especially flimsy.

The oem "A-frame" is more solid due to it's simpler design. However, aside from being a good light mount, providing some animal impact protection, and looking good/classic, it doesn't really "do" anything. Most of these actually reduce your off road capability by encroaching on approach angles.

Personally I think the factory round tube bumper guard thing looks crappy as well because it doesn't really match the LR3/4 in styling.

Last edited:

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm totally with you. Our Range Rover has the OEM front brush guard, I'm familiar with what they're made of. I was just looking for something with more substance than a bracket to mount lights too. I'll also be a convenient place to wrap up a muddy tow strap. I don't plan on pushing trees over with it, you know. I wish I had the time to fab up something nice, but right now life isn't allowing that.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are apparently 3 styles of OEM front "bars"

The classic "A-frame" which wraps all the way down in front of the stock bumper

The round tube style "brush bar" and "wrap around" version (not compatible with parking sensors - fyi)

And lastly a sort of truncated version of the "A-frame". It's in the vehicle accessories book and looks essentially like the top half of the A-frame. Sort of cool if you want a protective mount for a couple lights.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...The classic "A-frame" which wraps all the way down in front of the stock bumper ... And lastly a sort of truncated version of the "A-frame"....

Not sure if you are calling this the "classic" or "truncated". This is the non-winch a-frame.
I would say the winch compatible version where the lower cross section is removed is less common.

BTW - I was surprised this bounced a big NY deer at ~45mph (was going 60 and slammed on the brakes).
Bent the mounting bolts, but zero damage to the truck and an easy fix.
Well "easy" once I found the odd sized metric bolts online in grade 8 strength.

The foam covering was intended to provide pedestrian safety and placate the Euro law makers over there that
are trying to ban push bars. I think the deer really appreciated the padding. ;-)

But In the end, I got very lucky and the a-frame does little but provide a good looking place to mount lights.

XS5Z8936.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, that's the standard A-frame. I think they look pretty cool and apparently they are good for the animal interruption. The Truncated one in the catalog is basically the same from the top to just under the lamps, then it ends.

Trynian

Reaction score
yes, that's the standard A-frame. I think they look pretty cool and apparently they are good for the animal interruption. The Truncated one in the catalog is basically the same from the top to just under the lamps, then it ends.

I think the truncated one you mention is the A-Frame with factory winch version.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO, not at all. Clearly you didn't read what I wrote and have not seen these A-frames in both configurations.

The one shown above when made as winch version still has the vertical parts and just the lower center is removed. It is also the first one they made starting back in 2005.

This newer design is of course also compatible with the winch but simply by design, not by removal of some parts.

It's probably shown in some photos on their website.

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
NO, not at all. Clearly you didn't read what I wrote and have not seen these A-frames in both configurations.

The one shown above when made as winch version still has the vertical parts and just the lower center is removed. It is also the first one they made starting back in 2005.

This newer design is of course also compatible with the winch but simply by design, not by removal of some parts.

It's probably shown in some photos on their website.

You must be thinking of the new one for the LR4. I don't think it works on an LR3 due to slightly different bumper design. But it might.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is listed for the lr4 but many of these parts can actually be made to fit on either vehicle with minor modifications.

The standard lr3 version is probably an inherently stronger design anyway by how it wraps down in front the the bumper rather than just sitting on top of it.

Trynian

Reaction score
Yes, it is listed for the lr4 but many of these parts can actually be made to fit on either vehicle with minor modifications.

The standard lr3 version is probably an inherently stronger design anyway by how it wraps down in front the the bumper rather than just sitting on top of it.

Anything is possible, however the top of LR4 bumber is higher up then the LR3 and the grill and headlights are narrower so it might not line up right with the hood.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72