Making the LR3 trail ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be useful if you took pictures of both vehicles to post them.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding Erek's test,

Erek, GeoRover and Ryan's rigs are all 05's. So no model year changes could be in there.

My hunch is that the alignment plays a critical role in the amount of space before contact.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting back on track....

-Downsized the HSE from 19's to 18" 10 spoke SE wheels.
-Powdercoated said wheels and wrapped them in 285 / Cooper Zeons

This coming May I'll be busy bolting up the assortment of pieces/parts I've procured for the 3:
-Removing OEM Running Boards and installing RR Sliders.
-Installing the 8mm Rovers North powder coated aluminum sump guard
-Installing a Rover Racks "Challenge" Roof Rack
-Installing an OEM LR Bumper Bar
-F/R Lamp Guards
-Going to have 3M Clear Bra applied to the hood and side panels

----Still need to get lined out on lighting. Most likely going with 4, 8" LEDs on the rack and a 15" (or the largest I can fit in the OEM Bumper Bar) LED light bar.
-Also need to go ahead and pick up a 12V pump and Recovery Equip.
-Some type of suspension lift. Haven't decided on which, yet.
...Still need to find a matching 18" 10 spoke wheel for a spare and an additional 285 Cooper Zeon.

The list will continue to grow. Thanks to everyone on the forum for the advice/opinions on all the parts.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of the sump guard?

Are you sure you want that Clear Bra on there? On a White rig, you're going to see a dark line along the bra edge...

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get pics up of the sump guard (same color as my wheels) and talking to the installer, he said he'd put the top edge of the clear bra in the body line along the door handles. Worst case I'll have a line along the body and not a bunch of surface scratches. With my rig being white, the scratches wouldn't be "as visible", but they would still drive me nuts.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also ran 285s with no spacers (Zeons) and I wouldn't choose to use spacers. ....but some may be worried about rubbing the wiring sensors and see the spacers as a solution. Still others might feel that it looks better....I don't know? Milehigh?

...and just as you don't need spacers to run this size tire, you don't need the lift either.

Houm_WA . . .

I put the spacers on to widen the track at bit. While the 285's are wider than OE, I didn't like how they stuck inside the wheel arches. Just a personal preference thing.

I sort of bought them on an impulse, then found out that I can get custom backspaces from Fuel (MHT Wheels) . . . what I've learned is that the 285 coupled with 30mm pushes the tire/wheel out too far and I rub at full lock in normal mode. I don't think a narrowing tire will rub at all in OR mode.

You're 100% correct, you do not need a lift to the 285/60 Nittos, they were my first purchase given that I had to replace my tires and I wanted a better option than the GY. I originally chose the Nittos because they were the biggest I could run without a lift mod, and as I learn more about the Rover, I've elected to go bigger with a lift with the ultimate goal of fitting a narrower 33" tire.

I've only seen one that has done it (Roveribis on Disco3.UK) but he went with a 12.5" wide 33.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the background, Milehigh. I run the rod-mod about 75% of the calendar year (and about 40% of my miles) and have 32" MT/Rs. I'm not going to say how great it's been because I don't want to jinx myself!

You seem to have your heart set on 33" tires. If I may ask....why? It seems to really complicated the scheme for lifting and possibly re-gearing the LR3. That is a lot of trouble for 0.5" more ground clearance and a little bit bigger tire-bite (as compared to 32s.)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-Installing an OEM LR Bumper Bar

What's this? If it's what I think it is, then why? Maybe save the $ or consider better alternatives.

You are going all out on lighting but where will your spare live? Hopefully not underneath.

It wouldn't be much fun digging to get your spare and being required to flip up the 3rd row seats to release it, especially if your cargo area is full of stuff.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all have different ideas of what "trail ready" means for our own uses...

Had an impromptu need for space organization and temporarily came up with this on a trip. Which has me considering more effective means of a lightweight gear hammock up in the space for things like towels, sleeping pads, pillows, etc.

lr3%20sunroof%20hammock.jpg

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's this? If it's what I think it is, then why? Maybe save the $ or consider better alternatives.We don't like the look of any of the aftermarket tube style bumper guards.

You are going all out on lighting but where will your spare live? Hopefully not underneath. The spare will be on the rack.

It wouldn't be much fun digging to get your spare and being required to flip up the 3rd row seats to release it, especially if your cargo area is full of stuff.
Agreed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112