Metal Valve Caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief Justice

Reaction score
I had my tires changed at a local "large" tire store in KC. They took off the metal valve caps and replaced them all with plastic caps. I asked them why and they stated that if you leave them on they can get siezed on to the stems and break the air pressure sensors when you break them off. Anybody ever have this happen? I had mine for two years without any problems.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the same tires and stems for 3.5yrs through snow and rain and ice with no problems. I bet they lost them and fabricated a nice story.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell them you want them replace, they are full of sh__!

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x3, they are full of it.
What really happened is they lost them but didn't want to admit it and decided to make it sound like they were doing you a favor.
Even using them in Vermont/New Hampshire/Ohio/Wisconsin where the roads are salted I've never had one seize on the stem.

Chief Justice

Reaction score
They didn't lose them. They were in a plastic bag laying in the console. So they truly believe that this is a risk. I will ignore their warning and put them back on. I agree with you guys that this didn't make sense to me.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on where you live & how often you remove the caps - Here in AZ, it would take quite some time to see any seizing in that combo.... couple lifetimes (or a good lightning strike)?? If you like the metal ones, use em.

LandRvrTech

Reaction score
Here in Ohio I have seen a LOT of seized caps. The metal valve stem cap will corrode to the aluminum valve "stem" of the TPMS sensor. Once this starts, usually it will also seize the schrader valve inside the sensor thus making it unable to re-use if a tire needed to be replaced. There are companies out there that are now making "sensor safe" caps. Although when working in NC, I hardly had any seize up.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're worried about it, just use a tiny bit of Never Seeze on them.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tire shop is absolutely right and a Land Rover dealer would have done the same thing, tossed the metal caps and replaced them with plastic ones. Metal caps are a big no-no over aluminum TPMS sensor valve stems. Should a sensor break because of seizure of the cap over the stem, you factory warranty won't cover you for any damage your vehicle could incur. There is even a TSB or special service message to that effect issued by Land Rover, I'll see if I can dig out a copy.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it.

Reference SSM40144
Models LR3, Range Rover Sport, New Range Rover
Title Broken/Damaged Tyre Valves - TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitor System)
Category Chassis
Last modified 05-Jan-2009 00:00:00
Symptom 306000 Tyres/Wheels
Content

Concern:
Land Rover has received Warranty claims for TPMS valves/sensors which have been broken whilst attempting to remove metal valve dust caps from the tyre valves.

Cause:
Metal valve dust caps corrode onto the aluminum TPMS valve stem and become difficult to remove, without breaking the tyre valve.

Action:
Land Rover engineering do not recommend the fitment of metal dust caps to vehicles fitted with TPMS, warranty claims will not be accepted. Any vehicle found with metal/chrome valve dust caps on TPMS tyre valves must have them removed and replaced with the Factory fitted black plastic valve dust caps, part number RRF500030.

Owners must be informed of the consequences of putting metal valve caps on Aluminum TPMS tyre valves this will void the warranty of the tpms valve assemblies as the plastic cap is the engineering specified fit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM