Metal Valve Caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info. :biggrin:

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have silvery gray caps that look metal, but are really plastic. The local tire shop replaced 'em with green ones when I replaced the tires a few years back. I didn't initially notice, but went back to collect the caps later - their response was that the green ones represented their environmentally friendly service.... :stupid:

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always thought they meant nitrogen was used to fill the tire. Thought Costco started it. I have no basis for this.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had it happen in Colorado as well, The metal caps will sieze to the valve stem. Trashed all 4 valve stems. Love plastic caps now.

Bigtaku

Reaction score
I have to buy a valve kit to replace the ones that are shot. This is a real problem. Go easy on the guys...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about those Tire Pressure Monitoring Valve Caps? Are they dangerous to the TPMS system? Not that I have that on my 2005, but I still don't want anything to sieze to the valve.

Apparently, you can get THESE or ones like it for just about any tire pressure. Always wanted to get a set, haven't gotten around to it.

31Q49-c76qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
51nvwyVQnIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bigtaku

Reaction score
It's true

I had one stem that was so badly corroded that I had to buy a new sensor! If you catch it in time you can buy a kit that replaces some of the valve stem for about $4.00. If you wait until its as bad as mine was it is over $100.00 for a Ford/Rover sensor. Use plastic.

karismadaniel

Reaction score
Rear Hatch

My 2006 LR3 HSE rear hatch will not open....is there a quick fix for this? Also, my top rear glass is cracked, any ideas to what that is gonna cost? Thanks

Bigtaku

Reaction score
I have seen several posts on this issue here on LR.org. good luck

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my tires changed at a local "large" tire store in KC. They took off the metal valve caps and replaced them all with plastic caps. I asked them why and they stated that if you leave them on they can get siezed on to the stems and break the air pressure sensors when you break them off. Anybody ever have this happen? I had mine for two years without any problems.

I was warned about that while up in the northeast... they suggested some kind of lube on them to prevent seizing... makes sense. The metal ones are pretty standard around here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112