Mixing 18" and 19" wheels at same time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Currently, I run 19" rims on my LR3 and have a 5th 19" spare too. I also have a 18" rim with a used tire that I'd like to take on an upcoming trip- just as a second spare.

My question, if in the worst case scenario, can i drive with a 18" rim and 3 19" rims for a short period of time- say 50 miles? or with the 2 sizes create an issue with the suspension?

Any thoughts here? Thanks

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
considering most spares these days are crappy steel and not the same size rim or tire width, yes, of course you can as long as the rolling diameter is the same. i.e. oem 18 tire vs oem 19" tire should be identical.

You do realize that the 19" spare that is not a full size matching wheel are very different in every way except for tire diameter?

However, why not just get a good tire repair kit (plugs) and an air compressor and stick with your standard set of 5? It seems to me that if you are going anywhere that could possibly require a 2nd spare, you probably shouldn't be going there on 19's in the first place.

Trynian

Reaction score
considering most spares these days are crappy steel and not the same size rim or tire width, yes, of course you can as long as the rolling diameter is the same. i.e. oem 18 tire vs oem 19" tire should be identical.

I agree with Jwest. Rim size will not matter, just the total tire diameter needs to be the same. ie, if you had an LR3 non HD option that came with 18" rims it came with a 19" rim slim spare wheel, but the total tire diameter was the same.

If the total diameter is not close you will have problems. One time I picked up a set of 18" rims as spares that came with tires on them that were smaller diameter then what I was running. I put one on and before I made it one block the fualts went off and the truck went to access height. The speed/ABS sensors were getting different readings so it generated faults. I put the same size tire back on and all was right again.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Thanks for the direction guys.

I should have clarified a few things in the post. The reason for my question is I might drive 13 hrs up to Asheville next week for work and if I have time, do a some trail driving for a day. Currently, I run 5 19" wheels with ATRs. They are excellent on road and have performed very well on long, gravel roads too... My 19" spare is indeed a full size wheel/tire (HSE w/HD option). I just haven't used it in 4 years and thought since I have a extra set of 18"s (same diameter as 19" wheels), I would just throw one of them in the back in case I blow 2 wheels on the trail. I have a compressor but I'll just make sure the spare is inflated properly and just run with it. I don't think a repair kit will be necessary if i tear a sidewall.

I think I was over preparing the tire detail. Eventually, I might replace the 19" with my other set of 5- 18" wheels when the new ATRs wear out. I've been lucky that I got over 47k on the first set of ATRs. They are great tires for both tarmac and gravel roads.. I understand with less sidewall, I'm at higher risk for damage- my reason to switch to the 18".

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tyre calculator link

Below is a link to the tire calculator that I use for diameter and revolutions per mile etc.

The OEM 255 55 19 and 255 60 18 tyres sizes are interchangeable, at least in theory, and if not, well as above, your 3 will probably drop to access height within a few miles and before any damage is done to the differentials.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I do the same thing as you are suggesting, in this case, put one of my 255 55 19 tires in the back even though I am running 255 60 18 on the vehicle. I have the skinny spare hanging under but it is no fun to get at. I do release it at least once a year to exercise the tyre winch and see if it still works however.

This is my idea of having two spares and I might add that to date, I have not had to try out the theory for real.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635