MPG Check

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

lacarruk1

I am lucky if I get 240 miles on 1 tank of gas on a 2006 LR3 HSE.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
260 last time for me, had maybe 2 gallons left in it tops. Didn't expect good mileage, but this is Hummer H1 bad. The only way I could get Houm's 350 might be to drive 350 miles without stopping, with a tailwind, downhill at 45mph.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please guys, mileage varies... go back to the other thread(s) and re-read the previous postings... they are all still valid.

Only rough rule: If you never exceed 12 MPG (US Gallons) if you reset the computer while cruising on the freeway for 10-15 minutes, you have an issue. (See possible "Transport Mode Fix".)

L

lacarruk1

grommet said:
Please guys, mileage varies... go back to the other thread(s) and re-read the previous postings... they are all still valid.

Only rough rule: If you never exceed 12 MPG (US Gallons) if you reset the computer while cruising on the freeway for 10-15 minutes, you have an issue. (See possible "Transport Mode Fix".)

I recently sent a question to Land Rover North America asking them what kind of mileage I will get on a brand new 2006 LR3 HSE. They told me 14/18.

I resent the question asking specifically what would Land Rover GUARANTEE as these are only estimates. They replied that they cannot guarantee anything due to driving conditions, temp, etc...

On another note, my plumber called a local dealer looking to lease an LR3 but has been following my mileage thread (on my 2nd truck), he asked them what kind of mileage he can expect. He said the salesman refused to tell him and got defensive stating this is not a Toyota or a Honda....

I wonder if there is "class action" lawsuit possibilities if LR3's around the USA are getting under 12mpg all the time.....

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI: Class action lawsuits = Lawyer profit, and nothing else. If your LR3 is really broken (like the engine ECU getting stuck), it needs to be fixed. Do remember the LR3 is the heaviest vehicle of it's size, along with Range Rover Sport. This is not a fuel saver and probably isn't a selling point. :) Strange a sales guy wouldn't comment, though.

Anyway, no automotive manufacturer will guarantee MPG... even Toyota and Honda. Hence the fabulous phrase, "your mileage may vary."

D

drdjin

lacarruk1 said:
I recently sent a question to Land Rover North America asking them what kind of mileage I will get on a brand new 2006 LR3 HSE. They told me 14/18.

I resent the question asking specifically what would Land Rover GUARANTEE as these are only estimates. They replied that they cannot guarantee anything due to driving conditions, temp, etc...

On another note, my plumber called a local dealer looking to lease an LR3 but has been following my mileage thread (on my 2nd truck), he asked them what kind of mileage he can expect. He said the salesman refused to tell him and got defensive stating this is not a Toyota or a Honda....

I wonder if there is "class action" lawsuit possibilities if LR3's around the USA are getting under 12mpg all the time.....

I just found this site recently, and I have been having similar problem with my LR3 HSE. At times I would reset the trip computer while I'm going 60 to 70 mph on a long trip, ie NY to Boston, or NY to DC, and by the end of 2 or 3 hour, the MPG would state at or about 14mpg. I think Land Rover is over estimating their fuel efficiency. BTW, if you are planning a class action, count me in. I'm fed up with the problems on the truck.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in the other MPG threads, the city/highway MPG estimates are provided by the US Environmental Protection Agency using their standardized test methods. These are not done by Land Rover. http://www.fueleconomy.gov

J

jackmac

Sorry, but I can't believe anyone should be seriously concerned about gas mileage if you purchased an LR3. This is a big, heavy SUV with a V8. When people ask me, I sarcastically reply either "don't ask" or "N/A".

Grommet is right, this is an EPA estimate. Land Rover does not produce these numbers. All manufacturers selling in US must post the EPA ratings on the sticker.

As the expression goes, "your mileage may vary".

Also, the EPA has recently proposed changing the calculation formula, to close "the gap between what the window sticker says and what consumers can expect in their fuel economy"

Article: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article_id=10557

A

Amir

Grommet, I know you have mentioned several times about MPG being affected by several parameters/habits, hence the famous "Your mileage may vary" I am going to lay down my situation as clearly as posssible, and you tell me if what I am getting is good or bad.

I have been driving like, really really easy, so much so that sometimes i get people honking at me when pulling up from a red light or a stop sign. No accelaration tests yet at all. RPMs always low. The truck has 1950 miles so far. And I live and drive around area with an altitiude from around 10ft to 50 ft. 93 octane and only me driving my 06 HSE with HD pkg. For City/highway mix I get aroung 235 or much less before low gas light comes on. If I only drive in the city situations, the computer does not show above 10.6 and sometimes shows even much less. No mountain type winding uphill or downhill roads. just plain old fashioned city blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, "your mileage may vary" should not mean 50% less than what many of us have been seeing. It seems like some of us have much poorer experience than others. Last night I tested it again. After it was good and warm, I got up to 70 on the highway, hit reset and drove for about 20 (flat) miles at a constant 70. The computer showed between 14.5 and 15 MPG. The odd thing is that when I first got the truck, with 6000 miles on it, I occassionally saw 19-20, and man was I pleased with that! It's been downhill since...
None of us bought these things thinking we were going to save the environment or anything, but I did expect to at least get as good of mpg as my '99 4.0 with a four speed trans. Not even close. I continue to see 11.5-12 avg, albeit 80% city/suburban driving. I use premium and rarely see over 3000rpm. Actually, I did use regular for a couple months and switched back to premium for the last several months. This couldn't have "de-tuned" the engine or anything, could it?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635