Need to replace pads and rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here we go... What are they made out to be, that they are not?

FordhamJD

Reaction score
I'm gonna get ripped for this one...

I usually go to Sears Automotive - I generally wait till there's a sale then go and get my brakes done. I had my front brake pads done 6 months ago (maybe 4k miles) with sensor and oem brakepads for $160 - cant imagine them charging so much for rotors. I'm not sure I would trust them with much else but brakes are hard to mess up. Save yourself some money and go to them. P.S. you can haggle them down at sears - its a joke how flexible they are.

:bootyshak:bootyshak to the Stealership ! :hello: :mad:

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished mine last night with Akebono pads, OEM rotors, and sensor for $280 plus an evening of my time.

The obnoxious squeak is gone and the brakes feel good. Very pleased so far. Will be even more pleased when I can drive a day or two without my wheels turning black from brake dust!

J.D.

NhudeST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree anymore with DiscoMike. Stay away from all those other semi-metalic brake pads. I had my OEM rotors and pads replaced with drill slotted rotors and Akebono brake pads and havent looked at anything else ever since. The braking performance is so much better. Also, it won't be cheap, but if you can do the job yourself or with the help of a certified tech, more power to you. The hardest thing that gave me trouble was removing the alan-head bolt from the rotors. Other than that, I did the job myself. I even had both front and rear brake sensors replaced. Good luck to you man. Keep on Rovin...:bandit:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get an allen head socket, it will make that part a bit easier... try harbor freight for the economy version.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or you could use a torx head, which is what it is. T60 I believe.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T50 Torx bit per Bodsy's Brake Bible

or you could use a torx head, which is what it is. T60 I believe.
It is a Torx T50 bit per the link below. This is to what we call Bodsy's Brake Bible and it really is.

Everything you need to know is in the pdf, Version 1.6 now. The link on disco3 is to all the versions, but 1.6 is the latest revision and the one you want to download and print out.

Also included is how to handle the electronic parking brake as even if you do everything correctly, if you did not know about the steps to put the parking brake to sleep before you start the rear brakes, you will definitely be woken up by the squealing and smell shortly after "completion" of the rear brakes.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

penguinrover

Reaction score
I had my OEM rotors and pads replaced with drill slotted rotors and Akebono brake pads and havent looked at anything else ever since.

What specific brand of rotors did you purchase. I got the Akebono pads and am now debating which rotors. Thanks...btw Nitto grapplers being installed tomorrow :biggrin:

NhudeST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the brand. Some company in Anaheim who makes them sold them to me for under $300 for all four brand new. Drilled slotted I may add. Bad thing about those is, they cannot be cut or resurfaced once you take them to a local rotor shop. Just so you know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99