new 18" wheel from Lucky8 offoad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stealther

Reaction score
I was waiting a long time for these but the fact they require a spacer or a caliper shave (30mm shave too?) was a great disappointment.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That won't dissuade me from my opinion on spacers, unless you can back it up. I've run aggressive spacers (yes, properly mounted/torqued) on two of my cars, and dealt with premature bearing failure. Not sure if LR's bearings are indestructible in comparison to Audi's, but in my mind, having aggressive spacers on an already ~6k lb truck, all packed up and loaded, taking on washboard roads and rocky trails will have some sort of effect on bearing life. Please prove my logic wrong.

It was a half-typed thought that I bailed out on, yet somehow got posted when I returned to this thread and posted a completely different thought.

What it was meant to say is that spacers won't wear out bearings any faster than a wheel with comparable offset will wear them out. So, if a wheel has a 30mm wider offset, it will wear a wheel bearing the same as an original-offset wheel with a 30mm spacer would.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this thread is a downer. I didn't think about my hubs wearing out faster with the spacers. On the plus side, maybe they will go while I'm still under warranty, instead of at 100,000 like usual! Has anyone with spacers ever mentioned premature wear? If so, I haven't seen it. And can it really be much more harmful than the Compos with the bigger offset?

Everything else considered, I love the look of the spacers on 18' LR rims and BFGs.

I haven't done a wheel bearing job on an LR4, but it doesn't look to be too big of a job:

Obviously, still not optimal to modify a vehicle as to require more maintenance.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A shame this conversation went stale. I am in the market for a set of wheels and am not a big fan of the compos. The setup that roverman has is perfect but now that it's being said the hub will wear faster I am now considering other options. What's the most aggressive tire you can get on the stock 19" rims? 100% of my off-road driving is in the sand (mixture of soft and thick dunes) The stock Contis are HORRIBLE in the sand and even with the pressure down I have found my LR4 struggling...I need some better shoes.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A shame this conversation went stale. I am in the market for a set of wheels and am not a big fan of the compos. The setup that roverman has is perfect but now that it's being said the hub will wear faster I am now considering other options. What's the most aggressive tire you can get on the stock 19" rims? 100% of my off-road driving is in the sand (mixture of soft and thick dunes) The stock Contis are HORRIBLE in the sand and even with the pressure down I have found my LR4 struggling...I need some better shoes.

Either the Duratrac, which may no longer be available, or the Cooper LTZ Zeon. Both are only available in the stock sizes, and both are only in the stock XL load range.

If you really want an aggressive tire, I wouldn't worry about premature wear on the hub. The hub is a "wear" item on the LR3 and LR4 as it is and it isn't that expensive to replace.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank
Either the Duratrac, which may no longer be available, or the Cooper LTZ Zeon. Both are only available in the stock sizes, and both are only in the stock XL load range.

If you really want an aggressive tire, I wouldn't worry about premature wear on the hub. The hub is a "wear" item on the LR3 and LR4 as it is and it isn't that expensive to replace.

Thanks! So you said you have a set of 5 lr3 wheels you're not using? Are they for sale?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

First, thanks for the compliment. I'm very happy with my set up. People say the bearings will wear faster, and I agree in theory that they should. But I can't say I remember any reports about that actually happening - not that I've been completely on top of it. Also as was said, they will go out no matter what, and it's not that hard (or expensive) of a job to replace. So does it really matter if you do it at 70,000 miles or 100,000? Best tire, perform and look awesome, cheaper than other solutions like Compos, I say go for it.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, thanks for the compliment. I'm very happy with my set up. People say the bearings will wear faster, and I agree in theory that they should. But I can't say I remember any reports about that actually happening - not that I've been completely on top of it. Also as was said, they will go out no matter what, and it's not that hard (or expensive) of a job to replace. So does it really matter if you do it at 70,000 miles or 100,000? Best tire, perform and look awesome, cheaper than other solutions like Compos, I say go for it.

Thanks roverman. I think I am going to pull the trigger on the setup you have. How is the highway ride? Did you do any rod upgrades?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You are extremely limited in choice for 19" off-road tires. What I can say is, what are you looking for when you say "aggressive"? I drive in sand almost exclusively, and it's an an entirely different beast when it comes to tire selection. You don't want anything that will dig you in (muds and blocky AT tires are the worst). In sand, you want float to stay on top of the sand. This means more surface area contact via very low tire pressures and the more tire contact with the sand, the better.

Most Land Cruisers run on balloon tires out here, where they are big & round and nearly slicks. The next best thing would honestly be a well worn street tire. Finally, there are some sand tires out there but nothing in your size. I used to run Nitto Dune Grapplers, but they discontinued our size in 18s.

Just curious, what psi are you airing down to? That is going to make a massive difference, even on stock Contis. On stock tires, I was running anywhere between 20-25 psi, depending how loaded the truck was. On my Dune Grapplers, I was at 15-18psi. Sand mode on, traction control off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM