NEW 2001 TD4 - various issues... HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian

Reaction score
Okay.. I realize its not "new", but I just bought an '01 freelander td4, as is, no warranty from a used car dealer. Beautiful (almost flawless) condition, with less than 50k kilometers (~30k miles) on the clock. I got it for a steal... or so I thought.

Within the first two weeks, I've had to buy 4 new tires (I couldn't find the 2 needed replacements for the stock 195/80/15's); repair one of the power window assembly's (I can hear the same noises in two other windows); replace the tank fuel pump; and disassemble the intake plastic to clean out mass of goo that had accumulated.

The real issues (still to be resolved):
  • the stuttering/rough idle (totally intermittent) and rough running (@ approx 2,000 rpm)
  • the automatic transmission that wants to push me into the next car or unsuspecting pedestrian when I've got the brake depressed (i.e. at a stoplight)
  • and a wicked flat spot in the accelerator pedal (when only slightly depressed - i.e. the same place you hold it when traveling at highway speeds, about 1/2 inch depressed, related, I believe to the first bullet).

Apart from that, I love the car and want Desperately to sort this out... BUT, keep it and need some advice on where to go from here. What's already been done:
  1. Amsoil Diesel Modifier adopted as a standard complement (while the modifier doesn't address it, our local fuel still has something along the lines of 5,000 ppm sulfur)
  2. Amsoil Cetane Boost (makes a huge difference in general running and power, but doesn't solve intermittent rough idle or bucking)
  3. Fuel pump (in tank) changed
  4. Air intake manifold cleaned out (plastic assembly only), with foam used in the inlet ducts
  5. MAF unplugged/replugged (I read somewhere this would "re-set" sensor)

Two years prior to my ownership (and only 11k kilometers earlier), the LR dealer (service history kindly provided upon request): all 4 injectors were tested and replaced several (i.e. 3) times, and the Airflow sensor changed once.

I've been advised by a non-LR dealer, that the MAF should be replaced (again?!?!) to fix the intermittent bad idle and dead zone on light acceleration; and that one of the eight solenoids on the gearbox may be bad (hence the bucking at the stoplight).

I'm trying desperately to avoid the dealer as I thought US $500 for an oil change and an AC belt was a little excessive. How can I suss this out without wondering if the LR dealer actually does what they charge me for behind the magic curtain?!?!

Any suggestions welcome.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo