New LR4 Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phil1ben

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts. I really tried to find a good reason in my mind to buy the Range Rover (not the Sport) because I really did like the Fuji White exterior, Black Santorini Top and Ivory Seats but (being 55 and not 35) I could see no reason to spend the extra cash. The back seat did not seem much roomier, the front seat only slightly wider and they both had the same engine. The LR4 had more head room and to me felt as large. It also had much better visibility. The Range Rover was plusher for sure. Interestingly despite my attempts the dealers were willing to discount the LR4 off MSRP more than the Range Rover. They claim there is more demand (and less availability) for the Range Rover (despite its 100K price w/tax and extended warranty) than the LR4. Perhaps because the LR4 is at the end of its production cycle.

More importantly, my wife (who will be driving the car) liked this better. So we are happy with our purchase and will let you know our initial impressions in April when it is supposed to be delivered.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More importantly, my wife (who will be driving the car) liked this better.

You coulda saved a lot of pixels by just saying that, phil1ben! :biggrin:

I've said this before but I had a RR and every time I would see an LR (LR3 at the time) on the road, I would second-guess myself. The mystique of the RR as the King of SUVs is undeniable. But the ruggedness and other intangibles of the LR4 is also strong. I love my LR4 and I'm sure you and your wife will dig yours, too.

Derman

Reaction score
Jumping in here...

My wife has an LR4 on order for delivery in April as well - Indus Silver, Almond interior, HSE LUX and a wood steering wheel as our only option. We're in CA and our dealer is sticking with MSRP. Checking with other dealers nearby, this tracks pretty well - there are only 10 available currently within 150 miles, although there are some slow downs at the west coast ports that may be affecting availability.

While the RR/Sport was not on our list, we did look at just about every car in the same category and a few above. Nothing checked as many boxes for us as the LR4 and my wife likes how it looks and drives. (Not that it drives like a small sedan, but it really seems to have a nice and unique drive quality compared to other SUV's we drove.) For us, we also really liked the cargo space for those family trips compared to other vehicles. We can put a rack and ladder on and box on top and be good to go for an extended road trip, very comfortably.

I'll post a picture when it arrives.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts. I really tried to find a good reason in my mind to buy the Range Rover (not the Sport) because I really did like the Fuji White exterior, Black Santorini Top and Ivory Seats but (being 55 and not 35) I could see no reason to spend the extra cash. The back seat did not seem much roomier, the front seat only slightly wider and they both had the same engine. The LR4 had more head room and to me felt as large. It also had much better visibility. The Range Rover was plusher for sure. Interestingly despite my attempts the dealers were willing to discount the LR4 off MSRP more than the Range Rover. They claim there is more demand (and less availability) for the Range Rover (despite its 100K price w/tax and extended warranty) than the LR4. Perhaps because the LR4 is at the end of its production cycle.

More importantly, my wife (who will be driving the car) liked this better. So we are happy with our purchase and will let you know our initial impressions in April when it is supposed to be delivered.

I think they are right about the RR and demand. I see a ton of new RR on the road. Way more than the RRS. My Mother-in-laws boss just bought a fully decked RR Autobiography, its beautifull. Zero sh!ts were given about price. People are buying them and paying the premium.

Congrats on your purchase though!

I'm glad I read your thread. I said this on another thread and I'm trying to keep interest in the LR4 swayed in that direction but..Im still a few months out on my purchase and I'm thinking I may just go domestic again. LR4 is way cool but the negatives do add up. For what you get in a brand new, fully loaded domestic SUV and the price you pay, its hard to justify LR4. To make matters worse, I want a 2013 with a V8 and they just dont pack the value punch as a brand new domestic.

I'm squarely back on the fence, Ive got it down to the LR4 and one domestic and I'll try to hold my decision untill its the day I'm gonna sign the papers.

Last edited:

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is that if you know they break and cost a lot to fix them, what was the real reason you chose LR4? I have an 06 and 120K miles, I am done with warranty so I am skiddish now. Here is what I have found I have decided not to do a new LR4...reasons all major issues that have cropped up from 05 to 15 model years still exist and LR apparently does not care. Looking at the sales numbers from 05 to today LR4 and LR in general is in the tank. 2007 to 2013 (+7000 sold in a year) that tanked to +4600 in 2014, that says something. My issue has been, it is just not enough service in US/Canada and these things need improvement on reliability and durability. Ford made vast improvements, they are the single reason I bought the 06, now Tata has them and headed the wrong direction yet again. I argue on this forum that Toyota is the gold standard for reliability that every company should strive for because it sells cars along with a good aftermarket (ie jeep, which is a damn lifestyle), Escalade and Tahoe outsold the LR4 in 1 month. The LR4 (Discovery) is a life style but you better promote the right lifestyle with it, its about adventure NOT Paris Hilton and Posh Spice which most people despise. I will not own a GM product since they took the bailout, but this says something about sales and the price point is about the same. LR is not fixing the problems (well Tata), your LR4 will eat breaks and rotors, you will have to replace the control arm bushings around 40-50K and it will sit with minor issues, since there are not many places that work on them or even have a dealership near buy. I bought one because I "tried" to believe there bullet proof, I grew up watching Marlin Perkins of wild kingdom drive them and I wanted one period. Now, little disappointed can't get much aftermarket, there unique and a great ride, costly to fix and parts are seldom in stock. I love the truck, but only because I can't get a "New" Defender and now there killing that Legend, they back peddled on the new Discover "Sport" marketing...they finally decided that it was the LR2 replacement. Those of us who kept up with the initial release saw the backlash that they got calling it the Discovery and not identifying what is was actually replacing. We will se what the new Discovery will be, if someone like Posh Spice is marketed as designing it like the **** Evoque I am walking way from LR all together.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind. EVERY domestic car maker has taken some sort of bailout or made a backroom deal, yes even Ford. Why do you think they are so committed to EcoBoost technology? They owe the government something to stay so committed to a product that will miraculously meet EPA testing standards, does not meet those standards in the real world. And the blind jump into weight savings? They are on board with the CAFE standards and they are part of the quest to meet them. They are trying desperately to lead the way. Its payback...for sweetheart deals they made. They just chose the best PR path when they didnt take the big, public bailouts that GM and Chrylser took. Just look at the stop on a dime turn they took right after the bailouts. Look I bought into it too but believe me, they all made deals with the devil and they do whatever it takes to stay afloat.

Now then, I would NEVER buy a GM because they were so blatantly beholding to the Gub'ment and because they make really crappy products that never have and I doubt ever will appeal to me. LOL!

As for LR/RR and sales...I dont know figures but I see alot on the road. Because I'm in the market, I watch new and used inventory movement at my local LR dealership and they seem to be moving briskly.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you are taking into consideration that LR are at production capactity. It isn't a matter of low demand. You can't compare models sold from manufacturer A to manufacturer B in this case. It's apples and oranges. They couldn't supply them if there was demand for 20k a month!

They have new plants opening in China and Brazil to try and meet demand for all models.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...city-to-700000-units/articleshow/32674054.cms

I think that drop in LR4 production from 2014 onward can be attributed to significantly increased FFRR demands on those same limited production lines.

Last edited:

Derman

Reaction score
As a consumer with an internet connection, I feel we're going into the buying decision with our eyes wide open. I've brought the factors you mentioned into our buying equation and it is what it is and we're prepared for any shortcomings.

Volume of other brands doesn't concern me - we like the look of the LR4 and realize this will likely be the last model year. The low volume sales are actually an appeal. An LR certainly isn't a Toyota (and thank goodness it isn't), and we are fortunate to live in an area with readily accessible dealers and independent shops, both of which I've researched.

I also factored in the tires wearing out quickly - I think you missed that one.

phil1ben

Reaction score
@Sogs:

If I wanted the most reliable, care-free SUV I would probably have bought a Toyota or Honda and not an LR4. However, that was not my criteria (or my wife's). We like box shaped cars. I like the E9 and E30 BMWs from the 70s and 80s. Love the late 80s Aston Martin Volante Convertible and the 23 window VW bus from the 60s. We looked at the G-Wagon but frankly don't get it. The doors were flimsy and there was no more room than the LR4. We did like the RR but could not justify the bump in price. Other than that, there was not much on the market that appealed to us. Porsche Cayenne - no thanks. Mercedes looked like a fancy Toyota or Nissan. Sorry to any Mercedes owners....just my opinion.

We bought the LR4 because it was different understanding that it may have reliability issues. That is why we also bought the 100,000 extended mile warranty from LR. That is the reason we bought the LR4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635