Newbie considering a LR3...any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldfinger

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm in need of a new ride and I'm seriously considering a LR3, most likely an 06-08 with low mileage. I've found about three possibilities so far, two of which are at my local LR dealer and I'll probably be going to take a look at them within the next few days. I'm definitely a newbie to LR's. So I'm hoping some of you may have some advice on what to look for (certain options, better years than others, etc.) specific to the brand. Thanks in advance!

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just got ours a couple of months ago and love it. If its from a LR dealer than it's most likley solid. Tires and control arm bushings are the common issues. We drove several that had clunking in the steering going over bumps and lots of uneven tire wear.

I think 07 and newer allow you to adjust the driver seat position without key in the ignition, I so wish my 06 had that. My wife is 5'2" and Im 5'11"

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got an 07 HSE last week with 42k and love it thus far. I'll be investing in an extended warranty within 6 months, that's something I would think most here will agree that you should figure into your budget.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Extended warranty
2. Depends what options u really want (3rd row seating, colors, V8/v6, cooler in center console, etc)
3. set money asside for tires, brakes, and misc repairs.

And not sure what else you have owned, not as easy going to an autoparts store and buying parts off the shelf.

I love my 06' SE and have put 54k miles in less than 2 yrs.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also offer this: If you aren't going to off-road it, keep looking.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also offer this: If you aren't going to off-road it, keep looking.

So if a person isn't going to off road an LR3 then you shouldn't get one? I totally disagree. This is a great luxury SUV that looks and drives great around town. It's great to have for ocassional snow and ice, but I don't feel like I need to take it on the rocks and trails to justify having it, perhaps when mine gets older and I'm not afraid to get it scratched then I'll trail it regularly. When my disco aged I took it off road more and loved it.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if a person isn't going to off road an LR3 then you shouldn't get one? I totally disagree. This is a great luxury SUV that looks and drives great around town. It's great to have for ocassional snow and ice, but I don't feel like I need to take it on the rocks and trails to justify having it, perhaps when mine gets older and I'm not afraid to get it scratched then I'll trail it regularly. When my disco aged I took it off road more and loved it.

I agree that its not solely and only be used to take offroad, u just wont be using it to its full potential. So if if Im not going to drive my Ferrari 180+ mph then I should keep looking and settle on something else? My lr3 was never offroaded, but that was because my ex had my balls clamped so tight, now that we're divorced ill slowly start the offroading but my LR3 has been a daily driver (racked up 32k miles first yr) and my towrig of our Malibu boat.

I love my LR3 vs my old 08 Denali.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that its not solely and only be used to take offroad, u just wont be using it to its full potential. So if if Im not going to drive my Ferrari 180+ mph then I should keep looking and settle on something else? My lr3 was never offroaded, but that was because my ex had my balls clamped so tight, now that we're divorced ill slowly start the offroading but my LR3 has been a daily driver (racked up 32k miles first yr) and my towrig of our Malibu boat.

I love my LR3 vs my old 08 Denali.

i hope you got to keep the Ferrari too.

Aside from the SUV gas mileage, it is one of the best long distance haulers I've ever driven. You might as well shoot for an HSE used if you can find one, there is little markup due mainly to lack of familiarity with the line and used dealers from what I experienced.

If you are in a state with rough roads and/or drive on the margins of the law, you will burn through brakes and tires as well as have more frequent front end bushings and tie rod end replacements. The front end part prices are not out of this world though and I doubt they are any more prone to wear than any other full size SUV.

Regardless of your initial intentions, you will have the urge to get it muddy...it just happens.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was using the Ferrari as an example :) but did escape as a 30yr old (married 1 yr) who got to keep his LR3, stanley cup ring and bought the wakeboard boat the week after she moved out and divorce papers had been filed lol

Yes the HSE is the loaded version for u, however u may b able to find an SE with many options you like as well. All preference and I highly recommend you get comfortable with your car, as it will save you alot of money (ex oil changes)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is simply my opinion guys. Nobody has to agree with me. I just think that you'll only get half of the LR3's value if you don't wheel it. You will deal with the headache of maintenance without experiencing the pure bliss of what it excels at. X5s **** it on the road; GX470 kills it on reliability; nothing touches it on off-roading ability. It's NOT an SUV, it's a Rover....

So my opinion, is that buying an expensive vehicle and not using it to its full potential is ill-advised. Since I was asked for advice, I gave mine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4