Newbie considering a LR3...any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jptruck: do those hills have a nice little run-out at the bottom of them so that you can idle to a stop when it flattens out? I'd still be carrying a lot of speed in 2nd gear (hi-range) for my taste. Stopping when the hill is still inclined would require a lot of braking. Maybe you wouldn't be sliding backwards on those 30 degree hills if you were in 4-Lo ! :)

The spot i'm referring to us a small drainage where you drop in one side (probably 40-50 feet down) and then go up the other side. Last time I did that one it was pure ice and I "almost" got stuck at the bottom. I have land with plenty of mud-bogging, too. For another thread.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is simply my opinion guys. Nobody has to agree with me. I just think that you'll only get half of the LR3's value if you don't wheel it. You will deal with the headache of maintenance without experiencing the pure bliss of what it excels at. X5s **** it on the road; GX470 kills it on reliability; nothing touches it on off-roading ability. It's NOT an SUV, it's a Rover....

So my opinion, is that buying an expensive vehicle and not using it to its full potential is ill-advised. Since I was asked for advice, I gave mine.

Word.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also offer this: If you aren't going to off-road it, keep looking.

I'm going to have to point out some of the things great about the lr3 that have nothing to do with 4x4 time:
1-fold flat seating, what other suv can allow transport of a full size stand up freezer...and a 50" plasma (which must be transported standing vertically) at the same time? (without removing the seats)
-not any land cruiser, certainly not anything smaller than a LC100. Maybe a Toyota Seqouia but those are just enclosed Tundra pick ups that feel and ride about as nice.

2-while the air suspension is a potential deal breaker on extended off road trips far from AAA help, it sure is nice on gravel roads to go hiking...or when traversing curbing and crossing the median to avoid blocked traffic ;)
-it also helps grandma in. (never thought I'd care but she did!)
-lowest mode helps in parking garages, for work for me carrying ladders on the rack, etc.

3-how many rear hatches provide you with both a useful platform (lower section) and rain/snow covering upper section? Only a few vehicles have both. TLC, Range Rover full size, who else...? Not Benz, not Audi, not VW, not any Toyota except LC, no jeep.

4- how many suv have three glass roof sections or a panoramic? Some, but all suv panos I have seen are either noisy, too sunny, or less structurally sound. At least the lr3/4 has cross beams although it still lets in sun.
(I have a pet peeve about pano roofs without solid undercover/shades. The only company I know of doing it the "right way" is BMW in the wagons by using an actual solid multi-sectioned panel which both blocks out all the roof wind sound as well as 100% sun and a great thermal barrier from both hot and cold temps. I know, we have a 535 touring and it works great)

5-how many suv have a heated windscreen? if that's your fancy. Benz G wagon, Almost all LR models, not sure who else. Although the heated seats in lr3 suck beyond belief for what was a relatively expensive vehicle.

6-how many suv have 3 rows of seating actually usable for real adults? Only one I know of that is as good as lr3/4 is the Mercedes GL. There really is a lot of room back there -

oh, hell, I think the GL seats fold flat too! And you can get a GL in 25mpg diesel too for less $ than a comparable LR3/4. I recall the LR3 floor to ceiling height being greater than the GL but it's marginal.

Oh well, to the OP, yeah, maybe get a GL unless you are going to actually use the LR for anything requiring the 4x4! After all, the GL will possibly last longer, cost less to maintain, and nobody will confuse your purpose for having it. Honestly, it is a really good choice for anyone needing space and reasonable 4x4 ability without real "off road/off trail" plans.

;)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heated seats in the LR3 suck? Wow, that's not been my experience. My family joked that there only two settings: Waffle or Toast !

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both front and year heated seats are nice and toasty. We get down to zero F and they are nice even for the mother in law. She is picky and loves it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, don't get in an Audi S4 or BMW, etc, those are by far better. I trust we have just been spoiled because during the first year it never crossed my mind they were inadequate.

Oh, but the full size RR I had was also much better in the heated seat aspect as were the seat shaping.

I must be getting very picky in my old age ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4