Newbie! please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hey evryone-

this is 32785 and I'm new to this site. I've already decided that I'm going to be picking up a 1999 discovery. I have a 98 acura cl, but i'm getting into kayaking and I need something to carry it around! Just a few quetions-
Is there much difference in reliability from the 94-98 discos compared to the 99-02? Can I remove all of the rear seats in the disco so I can sleep in it for camping? What kind of gas do you all use? Are you all pretty satisfied with your disco? I really appreciate your help, I look forward to learning more about the discovery and posting here often.

thanks-32785

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reliability - in general they all good. However years on which new engine mods were introduced are generally (works for all makes, not just LR) not good to buy - its either hit or miss :) Example: Disco 96 got new 4.0L engine and they known for certain sticky valves issues.

Discos are very reliable horsies - basically if you not rip something apart - it will go. It will scream, kick, flash lights at you, but will still go.

Generally speaking D1 (till mid 99) are much easier to work on, due fact that they got less electronics. D2 are more advanced, but they are also more comfy, and of course would have much less miles by now.

Yes you can remove rear seats in either one. You can search for good ideas on them rollup beds in rear area of disco that would work even without removing rear seats :)

All discos will require premium petrol (93 in most US areas) - lower quality will get engine in troubles eventually.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Not to hijack his thread but, Sergei, what eventually happens to the engine if a lower grade of fuel is used? I've been using 87 octane with no problems. I hope I'm not causing more problems with this grade of fuel.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike - no problem :)

Here is theory behind things - octane rating is display of knock resistance. Hence lower grade may cause engine knocking. Also octane rating represents (theoretically) length of molecules - longer it is - better it burns.

Difference shall not be that big, but in general you can void your warranty by using lower grades than recommended. And presumably it can cause sticky valve issue b/c of different burning.

Then again - i did read somewhere that burning isnt that different actually.. However you may get lower mileage, but not that lower to seriously notice. And there shall not be real horse power difference to feel (to my recollection dynos are within 5 horsies).

Personally i am sticking with premium to not worry much about things, but if i cant get it - i will settle with whatever is at pump.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Mike -- Just my opinion.. RUN THE HIGHEST OCTANE YOU CAN!! I would .. I ran 87 for awhile and my cats blew out( no direct correlation of course) . Started running 93 for the past six months and for the most part all is well. Now this is only my theory but after my experiences I would settle for nothing less that 89 Octane.
Melissa

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa - actually its not right too :) too high octane will burn holes in your engine :) Higher heat output. 93 is ok.. its 100 and higher where you should be carefull :)

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Ha Ha Sergei!! And where might I find 100 octane?? Just curious. I thought the LR was a high compression engine which in turn required a higher octane? Come on people ... Time to start the attack on my theory .......

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find 100 octane at any municipal airport, since that is what every non-jet/non-turbo-prop airplane uses (100 LL).

How might I know this you may ask? I worked as a lineman at a local airport for 2 years.

Most racing gasoline is also 100 octane, and can be occasionally found at specialty gas stations.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Some stations carrying weird high octane racing petrol. Not many of them, but still - some.

Troy - i always thought that they were running on that special "cerosine" or whatever proper spelling is.. Interesting :) Thanks for info!

Melissa - naaah...its not really really requiring it. Think of this - LR vehicles were designed to be run across the globe. How many countries actually do have 93 Petrol? :) I.e it can run on lower grade, but it just will act funny... And in North America you will void yer warranty right away :)

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
100++ Octane

FOUND IT .. 101 OCTANE GAS 3.69 a gallon.. WOW!!! You have to like pump it your self out of an 50 gallon oil drum. Ewwww!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99