Newbie! please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

DISCVRY

Uzbad said:
Think of this - LR vehicles were designed to be run across the globe. How many countries actually do have 93 Petrol? :) I.e it can run on lower grade, but it just will act funny... And in North America you will void yer warranty right away :)

Actually think of it this way... Land Rovers were designed to be run across the globe, but not running gasoline. The vast majority of them are more likely Diesel, unless you are talking about a high-end RR where the owner can afford petrol. The v-8 was primarily for the North American market where gas is "cheap", and oil-burners are considered too slow to take on our great highways. The engines we got are made to run on the higher octane gas, to help squeeze all the power, and smog efficiency out of the motor.

Also try running you NAS V-8 Disco underwater like they did on the Camel Trophy. ( All else being equal with raised air intakes and breathers), your electronics will probably go south real quick.

-Reed

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reed - why would i want to run it underwater like in CT? Petrol engine wont do it - its well known fact. And not b/c of electronics :) Operating temperatures and requirements are different. I am not trying to suggest to run on lowest possible or highest possible grade. But from general experience i can tell you that Discovery would run on russian grades of petrol that are lower (heck in some cases its worse than lower - it has water in it :)). And without any problems. That said - i am normally sticking with premium b/c in Durango and most areas where i am going price would differ only about 10 cents, and i dont see point in saving about 2$ per fill just to get even worse mileage... :)

D

DISCVRY

Sergei-
Sorry, I was probably just over reacting to the old "Rovers are designed to gao anywhere" comment. I usually hear it just before someone does something really stupid off-road.

If I needed to, I would not hesitate to run my Disco on 87 octane. If that was all that was avalible. In fact it is something that has happened to me a couple of times in Wyoming and parts of Nevada. However I filled up with 92-93 the next chance I got.

I agree, the Rover will run on some awful stuff, but there will be long term effects to doing so all the time. I have something over 150k on mine, and am just a little nervous about possible valve problems. So I am very cautious in what I feed it.

BTW- If you have to tank up on fuel that might be contaminated, it doesn't hurt to strain it through a chamois first. That will help separate the water, and particles out of the gas.

-Reed

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reed - LOL its ok :) There are always strange people, thats totally true - just yesterday few dudes on ATVs passed me on trail roaring and driving lightning fast - hour later we seen one of them sitting (lucky bastard - alive) about 20-25 feet down from the trail's edge on the pretty rocky mountainside, near Animas Forks and ambulance been called...

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to Kayaks....I throw my kayak on top, but it takes some muscle for me to lift it up so high, so think about height. My rack is missing the crossmembers, so I use the swimming tube floaties bungied to the rack to cushion / hold the kayak. just thought I'd throw that in...

T

TTjr

Fuel Octane 93?

The DiscoII 2000 service manual says lower octane fuel is ok only if you don't hear pinging.

Personally I would imagine that in the wintertime lower octane is good and in the summer or when air temps over 75 - 80°F then higher octane will make a difference.

The lower the octane you can run without pinging the more power you can produce. But once the pinging starts then you are losing power and risking other problems like blowing head gaskets etc.
TTjr

M

montanablur

cyberegg said:
Back to Kayaks....I throw my kayak on top, but it takes some muscle for me to lift it up so high, so think about height. My rack is missing the crossmembers, so I use the swimming tube floaties bungied to the rack to cushion / hold the kayak. just thought I'd throw that in...

I'm in the process of ordering a rack from www.northwestparts.com If you don't want to go that route (Safari Rack) I have a Thule sytsem I'll sell you at a good price. They attach to the existing Land Rover rack....

As far as removing seats go... You can and then take gear to make a nice pillow where it drops down...

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post your Thule in the classifieds!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99