noob alert. what to look for? 2003 land rover disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rspeed9i6

Reaction score
Hello guys, im new to this forum. Im looking into purchasing my first land rover discovery. Most likely a 2003 model. Ive found some good deals on a few, most of them are slightly over 100k miles. Im not new to the automotive field as i have had years of wrenching experience, but i am no seasoned veteran when it comes to these vehicles and what quirks to look for before purchasing. Now i have done my fair sharenof research and have finally decided to join and ask the forum gurus. Ive been hearing scares about the cam bearings walking, causing lifter and low oil pressure issues. The most recent disco i took a look at ran great no probs, but as soon as it warmed up after a test drive, i noticed a lifter noise coming from the engine. Supposedly this kind of issue is notorious with these vehicles and is bound for an engine rebuild. Ive also read that head gasket problems are also common after 100k. Id really like to purchase this vehicle, but i would like more insight. Thx for your time guys.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. More than likely the noise you are hearing is from a sleeve that has dropped a hair or two. It is normally not a lifter issue that I am aware of, but for the money find an 04 Disco so you get the new oil pump (just incase the 03 hasn't been done) and you get the Center Diff Lock.

rspeed9i6

Reaction score
Roger that. Is that a common problem with these? And is it more apparent at a certain mileage? Obviously the lower mileage the better, but what can i expect with these older discos at 100k+? Is it better off not to go thru with them even if they are driving fine? If i buy one at that mileage, how long until something major is expected to fail? *(lets say it was well taken care of)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Oil pump was a known issue in '03 I don't recall if there was a recall or just a TSB on them, but a lot were taken care of by the dealer.

Rovers that are well taken care of can easily get 300-400 miles. At 100k+ miles little things like O2 sensors and MAF sensors can be an issue if you get bad fuel or someone doesn't close the air filter lid correctly. Front drive Shafts on the D2's are always a cause for concern (first thing I would do is verify if it has grease fittings or not, if not change the driveshaft for one that does). Head gaskets can be an issue if overheated or can just happen like on any vehicle. If replaced properly you will never have to worry with it again. Sunroofs are always a pain, if closed best to just leave it that way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4