O2 sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

MightyMax

I know this has been hammered to hell but i was wondering if anyone knew a good place online to get O2 sensors and i would love to see a step by step guide on to replace them on my 97 Disco I. Is it hard for a very amateur mechanic like myself?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
www.discountbritishparts.com Give nathan a call.

The front ones can be a pain if you have large hands, but the back two are pretty easy. The front two are kind of feel your way around kind of work.

N

nhveedub

Has anyone bought a 'generic' O2 sensor and re-wired them? For example, on a VW VR6, the O2 sensors are about $100 each. However, you can buy a Bosch O2 sensor for a different model, clip the connector off and wire the old connector on. The actual O2 sensor is the same but the connector is different. The manufacturer charges a premium for the VR6 sensor, but not the 4 cylinder sensor. This part I speak of is only $20 instead of $100. I'm willing to bet that we pay a Land Rover premium for something we may be able to get from say, an Explorer.

Anyone done something similar on a Discovery? Considering we have 4 of the damned things, it would be worth our while to investigate.

M

MightyMax

Joey,

Do you know of a step by step guide that i could print? (hopefully with pictures)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen a step by step guide, I just know when I did mine they were fun to say the least on the fronts.... best if you have two people one on top of the engine and one underneath to wiggle wires so the person up to can feel around and find the connector.

The connectors for the front two are on the back side of the engine and very hard to reach between engine and the firewall. Took me about 35 minutes to do one side and 10 minutes to do the other side... rears took less then 5 minutes total.

M

Mark

I bought some from OxygenSensors.com this morning. Part Number AMR 6244.

O2 Sensors are primarily manufactured by NTK (as these are) and may be shipped under other names with NTK marked on the body.

M

Mark

Joey is right, I think it took me 25-30 minutes to replace the drivers side front sensor. I never did get the clip 'clipped' back into the clip holder. Instead I tie-wrapped the wire away from the transmission and header to the metal tube that runs port and starboard against the firewall.

The O2 sensor I received from oxygensensor.com had a 'Walker' name brand on the box, but the innards were NTK. $90.00

Now for the technical stuff: I have Bank 1, Sensor 1 & 2 replaced I checked out the responses on the scanner.

First I replaced the Bank 1 - Sensor 2 and ran the scanner. The signal was not longer flat lining at 1.000 but dropped to .9(40-80).

Later, I replaced B1S1 and then ran the scanner. S1 moved up and down very well but now S2 was hovering above 0.0 - 0.1(.2).

With this information, I can now compare the signal response to B2S1 and B2S2 to see what Sensors look like when they are getting old. I was getting a P0130 DTC and was intrigued about what that meant.

In a couple of weeks I am going to change out the Driver side sensors.

------------------
As for instructions:

Get two 11/16" flare wrenches and cut one to about three inches of handle.

When you disconnect the sensor from the plug, drop it down to the sensor and fold into a small bundle and hold with a rubber band. This helps while the sensor is turning. I guess the wires could be cut but at your own risk. Use the short handled wrench for the driver side front sensor. It is tight for a normal wrench. But the normal wrench is useful for braking the sensor loose. You will need to hold the wires and the sensor at the same time while switching over the wrench as the twisted wires will try to return the sensor to the previous position. Once I figured that out, it 5 minutes or less to completely remove the sensor.

Wrap the new sensor's plug into a paper towel to keep grease and oil from getting onto the surface. Fold gently and secure with a rubber band.

Put anti-seize (high temp) on thread.

Carefully turn the sensor into the threads and ensure the bundled wire is not getting kinked.

Once the crush washer - crushes... connect.

I thought, later on, that the best way to attach the driver side front sensor plug was to place a cloth on the engine and then lay plywood up there so you could approach the sensor from the left side of the engine.

I had to remove some of the coil pack connectors just for access, since I have large hands. It made access easier.

This is my summary on a task I had no idea how to do except by sheer wits and the rain was starting to arrive..

M

Mark

Update

I got around to changing the passenger side sensors.

Holy Crap!!!!! What a pain it was to get that forward plug - unplugged. I ended up enlisting the help of a Friend who stopped by to pick stuff for his wife.

The aft plug was simple.

The forward plug required me to reach from the underside and disconnect.
It took both of us to reconnect the plug. I got a cardboard sheet and laid across the engine so B. could work from the top while I was reaching up around the transmission to reconnect. Yes my arms are that long.

Afterward, I went for a drive with the scanner attached and all four sensors were running fine.

Now I am good for 60k-K miles. Next time...Landrover is replacing the sensors. Not me.

P

pinoyq8

Oxygen sensor

What are the symptoms for oxygen sensor replacement?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decreased mileage :)biggrin:)
Soot-like exhaust
Feeling less powerful than before
Having too many miles on the O2 sensors.

You can hook an oscilloscope up to the O2 sensors and measure the resistance, and in doing so tell when they are dead/dying, but the above are a good start.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM