Odd A Pillar Water Leak & Hopeful Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a rain shower, and with my LR3 parked a bit nose down and the roof full of water, I backup up a hill a bit quick. A bunch of water came into the vehicle from the top of the headliner and A pillars. I believe that the drain hoses got overwhelmed. Regardless, when I got home, I tore the truck apart.

I am aware of the "water ingress" TSBs, and that it is a historical problem. I did the drain hose test by pouring water in the sunroof water trap. . .sure enough, not much water came out at all. I started tearing into the drain hoses at the wheel wells. After manipulating the rubber valve at the end of the hoses. . .water gushed out.

My LR3 is always garaged at work and at home. It doesn't see much rain other than when camping, etc. I believe the rubber valves stuck closed. In order to hopefully fix this. . .I took a bit of water in a big cup and added silcone lubricant. I then poured this into the sunroof water trap and out is came from the drain hoses. My hope is that the silicon lubricant will lube the rubber valves. The rubber valves are a bear to reach which is why I could not lube them directly. They certainly much much freer now.

Jusy an FYI.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in the wheelwell are the sunroof drainage tubes located? Thanks,

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are four. One from each corner. The fronts are in the upper fender area. The passenger's is behind the intake vent. The driver's is the same on the driver's side; however, you can't easily get to it like you can on the passenger side. You have to take the wheel well molding and inner liner off in that area to get to it. Mud flap to if you have them. You can then reach your arm up to the second upper back opening in the inner fender metal. You can feel a soft rubber tube like thing. That is the "valve."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112