Off Road Tire Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

Nomad

Has anyone looked into putting on a 285/60/R18 on the LR3 SE? There are two tires in this sizes that are All Terrain calibure: Nitto Terra Grappler, Sumitomo HTR Sport AT. I know of one LR3 that has apparently successfully mounted and tested the Sumitomo AT(http://www.muddyoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1199). Anyone think its a bad idea to have the 1.5 inch diameter increase. Its about a 4.5 percent change. Let me know your thoughts and plans. I am basicly trying to figure out whether to wait for the market to produce something in our size or just go with the 285/60/R18.

Thank you,
Nomad

D

disco1

I'd go with the 285x60's if they fit. By the time you wear them out the market may have begun making the size you really want.

K

KTMLC8

I am still interested in hearing reports of fitting such a size as well. Or for that matter any other more agressive tread patterns closer to the stock size. Just wonder if we ever will get anything in an 18" in the USA that will be comparable to the Goodyear MT/R that the G4 LR3 sports in 19". Fingers crossed.

C

CarsDad

Nitto also makes the Grappler in a 255/55/18 if you are just looking for grip. I had Grapplers on my '96 Dodge Ram and I was suprised how nice they were for the money. All of the H2 owners out here that want to look like rappers but still want offroad grip use them up to 22".

K

KTMLC8

I commend Nomad on this. He has certainly shown us the way. Now gotta go order mine before there is a shortage across the U.S. because of this.

N

Nomad

Yes I do. After I found out that my alignment was way off the tires were scrubbing a little prematurely. But only on the inside edges. After the alignment was fixed 1000 miles have gone by and I they haven't changes fraction of an inch. The tires surely were not meant for the abuse off road I give them weekly but they hold up amazingly well in nasty rocks. Road noise to me is now not noticable but its there in the back ground as expected from an all terrain. So in other words all is good so far.

Nomad

K

KTMLC8

That is good to hear. I took the plunge yesterday. Discount Tire did me right on the tires and the 3 year road hazard warranty.

When they got them in the shop they called me so I ran by there after work. As I pulled up a few of them were shaking their heads basically saying there is no way those tires are going to fit. What was really funny was watching the techs jacking the truck up and the suspension kept extending. I had no idea of the articulation until I saw it on a flat surface whithout rocks or other obstructions in the way. This thing has some suspension travel.

No rubbing at all so far. Thanks again for being the lab rat on this. I took some soapy water and sprayed up into the spare tire opening to ease the entry. Just hope it will drop out as easy as it went in.

S

stumccrea

What about the Goodyear Wrangler HP? I know the truck comes with hp all weather, but would the wrangler hp be better for offroad?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112