Off Road Tire Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

W

w6000

I just ordered Nokian Snow tires in the 255 60 18 size for my LR3. I will have them on next week. I'll let everyone know how they are

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the grass- snow terrain response mode and pushed the yellow hill descent button from that mode - so it works in terrain response modes other than rock crawl. I could clearly feel and hear the antilocks working and and the tranny must have dropped to 1st gear as the brakes did not appear to be the only thing slowing me. Definitely not in rock crawl. Worked great. I had a BMW X-5 ahead of me that broke traction, started sliding sideways and down the hill until it hit and jumped the curb and rolled into a lawn. I just inched down, stopped and was prepared to offer help when the guy drove off again. I must have looked quite smug, as I indeed was, as he eyed my Rover.

P

pneon

I just got the grapplers put on my LR3, thanks nomad for taking the plunge! What tire pressure you guys using? I put in 35 and went rock crawling only to realize that it was way too low (almost touching the rim when on 1 tire). Let me know what you guys are doin.

Hey I know this isnt the thread for this but thought since you fellas have been dealing with tires you may have heard of a similar issue to what im having:

I get shimmying (spelling I know) at about 50-65 mph like my tires are out of balance but they are not. I had the issue with the stock wranglers, and used this excuse to buy the grapplers :p, but unfortunately the issue still remains. I had the alignment checked as soon as I got the grapplers, right on in all measurements, and have had the balance checked twice. Im also getting like a rythmic bounce/hop in my rear end when I slow down. Land Rover has been very bad at supporting me in this issue, swearing its the tires and the car is fine, but these issues are new and have lasted through both sets of my tires.

Could it be the rims?

Either way thanks for all the work you guys do to support lr3 owners everywhere.

N

Nomad232

Thank you thank you...Yes the Grapplers are wonderful. I use them with 40 PSI all around on the road and off road. They could go lower in the sand though.

J

JimLR3

change in turning radius with Grapplers

Has anyone noticed if there is an increase in turning radius with the Grapplers? Is it significant?

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KTMLC8 said:
So far so good for my Nittos. I can feel a little more body roll or could be tire sidewall roll while going thru the corners. Only issue is with my expedition roof rack clearance now. I could get into my garage in the access mode just barely and into most low parking garages. The extra one inch height from the tires has halted such activity. I started eyeing the upright structures of the rack to see if I could cut it down about 1.5" - 2". But they seem to be extrusions with top and bottom feet. So I may be yanking the expedition rack and getting the towers and landing pads for my Yakima setup. Anyone in the Dallas area interested in an Expedition rack?

Will have to wait for the Christmas holiday to try out the Nittos in the snow.

KTMLC8, let me know if you are still interested in getting rid of your expedition rack. I live in Dallas as well. Thanks.
[email protected]

A

AZSTALZ

Gotta love the lawyers... Due to the vehicle lowering @ 32MPH to "normal-height" I have burn-through from the Nitto TG 285/60 R18s in the rear wheel well plastic. This occured on a caving expedition in Mexico with a full load inside and a full Yakima Loadwarrior on hard packed dirt roads @ 40-50 MPH. As the vehicle dips down into a traversing rut the suspension bottoms out in "normal-height" and the melting occurs...
Just a heads-up, otherwise the LR3 performed flawlessly in some very tough terrain.
--AZSTALZ

Attachments

• CIMG1977.jpg
    CIMG1977.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 113
  • CIMG1947A.jpg
    CIMG1947A.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 106
Last edited by a moderator:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see goodyear lists on their website that they finally have their silent armor wranglers in 265 60 18. Has anybody heard about these tires? They look like a good BFG AT type tread...

A

AdvRide

Interesting about the rubbing on the Mexico trip. I noticed on one really bad road that I heard what sounded like tire scrapes in the rear wheel wells one day. And upon inspection saw that the rubbing was in the same spots you show there.

cbboard, I found a solution to my Land Rover expedition rack height. After I removed all the plastic covers from the risers I discovered they were bolted to the top and bottom pieces. So I simply removed the risers and the top of the rack. What I have on the truck now is basically the bottom of the rack which leaves the cross sections to protect the glass top, the sun roof and still allow be to strap down things with the eyelets. I think I can even get the Yakima Load Warrior basket to attach to the rack now which will work out for what I need.

Also, had a user name change as you can see.

B

bohnhead

AdvRide said:
Interesting about the rubbing on the Mexico trip. I noticed on one really bad road that I heard what sounded like tire scrapes in the rear wheel wells one day. And upon inspection saw that the rubbing was in the same spots you show there.
Hmmm, is there any way to prevent this with these tires? they're only slight larger than stock???

AdvRide said:
cbboard, I found a solution to my Land Rover expedition rack height. After I removed all the plastic covers from the risers I discovered they were bolted to the top and bottom pieces. So I simply removed the risers and the top of the rack. What I have on the truck now is basically the bottom of the rack which leaves the cross sections to protect the glass top, the sun roof and still allow be to strap down things with the eyelets. I think I can even get the Yakima Load Warrior basket to attach to the rack now which will work out for what I need.

Nice, can you post or email pics? I'm very interested in what you've done. Did the front wind deflector unbolt cleanly as well? Also, I can't tell from pics, is the bottom rail a tube or something else, do you think it has any real strength to it?

Trying to decide whether to buy one of these or wait a year for some nice aftermarket stuff...

Thx,
MTB-)

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112