Off Road Tire Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey KTMLC8: I have pictures of my rig with its new shoes on but apparently I am not yet sufficiently worthy to be able to post images or attachments on this forum (or else I'm too dumb to figure it out.) The posting rules at the bottom of my page tell me I may not post attachments. If you really want to see my photos, email me at [email protected] and I'll send them to you. My LR3 rides about 1/2 inch lower and the wheels with the tires mounted are 1 inch smaller in diameter. The difference in road noise with the Grapplers is not appreciable and the handling even feels slightly crisper with the lower profile. Can't wait for some snow to see how they grip.

K

KTMLC8

Freeflytim, thanks for that. I noticed this the other night in the manual. So before I made any attempts at changing anything I ran some point to point tests on the street corners in my neighborhood and the system stills seems to be showing high accuracy. Unless I am missing something. Please advise if I am.

Roverine, I sent you an email.

A

AZSTALZ

I also purchased a set of the five-spoke 18" rims (V6) for my HSE and mounted the 285/60 R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers to them. Very nice tires and ride quality is little or no difference, but I now can change out the rims in twenty minutes for off-road trips and heavy ice/snow. Make sure the shop uses clamp on weights and not adhesive weights for balancing! --AZSTALZ

F

Freeflytim

cool AZSTALZ!

I found that Im keeping the Nittos on all the time and the 19's are collecting dust in the garage!

K

KTMLC8

So far so good for my Nittos. I can feel a little more body roll or could be tire sidewall roll while going thru the corners. Only issue is with my expedition roof rack clearance now. I could get into my garage in the access mode just barely and into most low parking garages. The extra one inch height from the tires has halted such activity. I started eyeing the upright structures of the rack to see if I could cut it down about 1.5" - 2". But they seem to be extrusions with top and bottom feet. So I may be yanking the expedition rack and getting the towers and landing pads for my Yakima setup. Anyone in the Dallas area interested in an Expedition rack?

Will have to wait for the Christmas holiday to try out the Nittos in the snow.

N

Nomad

Just think of the buisness BFGoodRich is loosing from us LR3 / Disco 3 people. If they made a 31.5 or a 32 inch 18 inch All Terrain we would be writing reviews about that tire most likely. Oh well I have about 4500 miles on my Nittos and I love them. The wear rate is wonderful. They surrive the harshest rock crawling and resist side wall punctures very well.

Enjoy them fellows.
Nomad

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My update on the smaller 255-55R-18 Terra Grapplers- I love 'em. We received about 8" of snow after rain iced up the roads here in the Wasatch foothills last weekend and I had to go out and play. Some of the streets in my area are steep, with grades as high as 14% in places. I had no problem going up or down (the hill descent was great and kept me under control even as others slid away ahead of me-luckily I had no one following me there). Great snow traction with these tires. I imagine they will be OK in mud too. Now I have to get out onto some slickrock! May have to wait for spring before I can get anyone up for a trip to the desert though. It's snowing again now-guess that will have to do for now!

T

toddjb123

Roverine said:
... Some of the streets in my area are steep, with grades as high as 14% in places. I had no problem going up or down (the hill descent was great and kept me under control even as others slid away ahead of me-luckily I had no one following me there). ...

You used the rock crawl hill descent? Or is there a non rock crawl mode? Just curious what you used to get down a slippery hill. Glad they're working well for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112