Oil change - how often?

oil change - how often

• with Synthetic, every 7500 miles works just fine

Votes: 26 86.7%
  • 7500 miles? no way. every 5000 miles or less

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often do you guys do oil change? I've been doing every 5000 miles with Synthetic oil but can I stretch it to 7500 miles as it's LR service interval?

tcpfl

Reaction score
Oil's cheap insurance... I change it every 5000 using synthetic :biggrin:

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I should temper my vote by saying if I was running Rocks all up in the desert then I would change it more often but if you drive a normal course of warm up and dry out then go by the factory specs.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes you can run synth for 7500miles easy. Studies have shown you can run conventional oil 6000 miles I change mine at 5000 miles currently running the lr oil semi synth.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with DrZ. On synthetic, you don't have the concerns about the oil breaking down like you do with dinosaur oil. In fact, my BMW has oil change intervals of 15k miles - there are posts online about service techs at BMW dealers keeping the oil from customers who request oil changes at 7500 miles or less - they use it in their cars.

We are still running conventional oil in the Rover so I have it changed every 3,750.

-Rich

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "conventional" oil run in the LR3 from the dealer I beleve is a semi synth.
At least thats what the dealer told me they run in the LR3.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with DrZ. On synthetic, you don't have the concerns about the oil breaking down like you do with dinosaur oil. In fact, my BMW has oil change intervals of 15k miles - there are posts online about service techs at BMW dealers keeping the oil from customers who request oil changes at 7500 miles or less - they use it in their cars.

We are still running conventional oil in the Rover so I have it changed every 3,750.

-Rich
Hey Rich,

Until last month, I also had a 2006 BMW 330i, and changed oil and filter every 7.5K rather than the 15K recommended by BMW :stupid:)

The issue is less with the ability of synth oil to last, and more with the contaminents that accumulate over time, and the subsequent issues which they can cause. This is especially a concern with the magnesium block in your N52 engine. I've seen the oil content analysis reports after being drained from these engines.

I do change the LR3 every 7.5K, as part of the LR maintenance program, and will continue with this schedule, now that it is about to expire.

My MINI has less than 9K miles, and I've change the oil 3 times already! Mostly due to 1) break-in service, and 2) annual oil changes regardless of mileage.

- John

Last edited:

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rich,

Until last month, I also had a 2006 BMW 330i, and changed oil and filter every 7.5K rather than the 15K recommended by BMW :stupid:)

The issue is less with the ability of synth oil to last, and more with the contaminents that accumulate over time, and the subsequent issues which they can cause. This is especially a concern with the magnesium block in your N52 engine. I've seen the oil content analysis reports after being drained from these engines.

I do change the LR3 every 7.5K, as part of the LR maintenance program, and will continue with this schedule, now that it is about to expire.

My MINI has less than 9K miles, and I've change the oil 3 times already! Mostly due to 1) break-in service, and 2) annual oil changes regardless of mileage.

- John

John - thanks for the comments. I definitely see what you are saying, but that is the reason behind the filter system, as well as the oil service monitoring system.

I'm not saying oil doesn't get dirty - it does. But it still maintains it lubricating properties as long as it hasn't broken down. The filter may become dirty, but it won't become less affective at filtering - worst case it becomes clogged (which I have never experienced, nor heard of someone else experiencing). Typically engine oil problems are caused by sludge, which is a by product of oil breaking down.

I also have a hard time believing that BMW would recommend a 15k mile service interval if it hadn't been tested closely. Many BMWs go out as CPO and have a 100k mile warranty - that seems like a huge amount of exposure. Most BMW owners probably aren't that concerned about the cost of oil changes, so if they felt service was required more often, I would think they would recommend it.

BTW - why'd you get rid of your 330i? I love mine. And the N52 is a fantastic engine - not as powerful as the twin turbocharged N54, but it is actually a more advanced engine. Of course, I would take a 335i in a heart beat - hopefully that is what you got! :biggrin:

-Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM