Option to Buy...Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

bperkins

I have a White HSE on order (since 01/05) with my local LR dealer. In late Feb. they bought a white HSE from a "wholesaler" that is very similar to the one I have on order. However it has 4,000 miles on it. Of course it is new condition, and they have accepted my offer of $50,000 for it. They only concerns I have is how it was taken care of during the 4,000 miles and if it was a demo or something like that. The dealer, which I know very well since we have purchased two Discovery's in the past assures me that it was not a demo, and is in sound shape. I just worry that it may have some issues that were on this board.

Do you think this is a good deal or should I wait for the one I have on order?

Thanks,
Brad

Last edited by a moderator:

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. How much of a savings is that from the one you have on order?
2. Did the dealer just tell you it was not a demo or did he give you more specific information about it?
3. Was it driven by a dealer? Was it ever titled in someone elses name?
I would think that in almost all cases you should be fine with a vehicle that has 4K miles and would still be under full warranty anyway but it depends on the price difference to me, if it is hardly anything then I would guess that in the end you would be more satisfied with the one that you ordered especially if there were additional options not included on the other.....

B

bperkins

Thanks for the reply

1. How much of a savings is that from the one you have on order?
About $2000
2. Did the dealer just tell you it was not a demo or did he give you more specific information about it?
He did say that it was not a demo. And he only said that it was purchased from a wholesaler, given no reason as to why he would want to sell it. That is what I cannot figure out....why would he want to sell it being so new and all.
3. Was it driven by a dealer? Was it ever titled in someone elses name?
It was not driven by the dealer selling it, I assume it was owned by the wholesaler. I will ask them today when I go in if it has been titled. I would think it had since, they are very up front about new non titled vehicles.

My father was test driving a new Range Rover with 2,000 miles on it and they kept stating how it had not been titled.

T

tzucc

I wouldn't touch it. You'll never know if it wasn't one of those units that had this stalling problem, which still doesn't appear to be figured out by some accounts.

L

luvmylr3

Suggest you have the dealer print out a report listing all work done on the vehicle via the VIN number. They should have access to the database that has this information, if not have the original vehicle's dealer pull all their records. You should get a copy of this prior to purchase.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, you are talking about less than a 4% difference in vehicle cost with difference being one that you yourself ordered verus one that is comparable but is "used" although not much. I would stick with the one you ordered....take a second and realize for $50K you should get exactly what you want and not just a reasonable substitute.... thats my opinion but I would gues you would be safe either way.......

M

MightyMax

my opinion is to hold out for the one you ordered. $2000 is not enough of a difference for a potential headache.

Plus...don't you want that great feeling of breaking in the ******?

F

Freeflytim

WAIT!!! $50k is no discount on a ‘used car.’ !!!!

Who knows what its history is with such low miles. Probably not a demo ‘cause I would guess that dealers sell their own demos… so that leaves two other scenarios… a bounced check repo or a buy-back.

Either way, wait and put the ‘screws’ to your dealer.
I can’t believe your Greensboro dealer has not found something you want. Im in Chattanooga, also a ‘small town dealer’ and they found me what I wanted, a loaded HSE, in three weeks. Sounds like they are not trying.You may have a previous relationship with your dealer, but they may be using that to their advantage… thinking you won’t shop elsewhere. When I had a deposit down in Chattanooga, I was also talking to LR Gwinnett and right when Chattanooga found a truck, LR Gwinnett found 3. Call ‘em and talk to Mary.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bperkins

We think alike......I decided to wait until mine arrives. As for shopping elsewhere....no chance here since they own the other closets dealership which is on the coast (Cape Fear).

I am really not in that much of a hurry. My hopes are that I get one that has the Bluetooth option and the kinks worked out of it.

Thanks for the replies.

G

GadgetRick

Hmm...

Also, if it wasn't a demo that implies it was owned by someone. Why would it have been returned/sold so quickly. I mean, the LR3s just came out and they're hard to find in some areas.

If they were offering like $45k I might consider it. I think you're making the correct choice.

The Rickster

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635