Overfilled Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chick

Reaction score
We just took our 01 Disco II in for an oil change, and the tech put 7 quarts in. It reads well over the full mark when hot, by almost 40mm.
When the day heated up, my wife turned on the AC, and after a while the oil light came on, and the lifters started making a hell of a noise. She called me to come rescue her, which took about 45 minutes. That's when I checked the oil and found it to be really full.
She started the car, no oil light but the lifters rattled for about 20 seconds, then settled down. We drove towards home, but had to stop after about 20 minutes to let it cool down again. This happened 2 more times before we got it home.
I am hoping that I can pull the filter and dump the oil out, to return the level to normal.
Is this normally what happens if the oil is too full? Can any permanent damage have been done to the engine?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Who changed your Oil? I would have a long chat with the tech or service manager.

Overfilling the oil can blow the seals out, cause foaming in the oil from too much pressure and then it can push oil up into the intake. Running it like for a long time can indeed ruin your engine.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suggest you speak to the manager of that establishment immediately and stop driving the vehicle until you can drain some oil out...

You need to get them to agree to pay for any damage caused by this stupidity with in the next year or so, depending on how much you drive. If you get this mess cleaned up ASAP, it probably will be zero damage, but even still...

This is exactly why I hate having a vehicle serviced by someone else, regardless of any ASE or other certifications they have hanging on the wall... Sometimes all they want is your money and put the most minimal effort into their work... Sad...

Mark

Reaction score
I stopped in a Shell Oil Change place one day ( I was lazy) and they told me they filled with 6.5 qts. I have only ever used 6 qts because I use the K&N 2004 oil filter. I think if the K&N 3001 oil filter was used then 6.5 qts would be correct.

Anyways, I made them drain until the fill line was correct. I also asked that my data be updated to reflect 6 qts and a change to the computer they used to reflect 6 qts also. Better low than high.

From that day on, I have changed myself using 6 qts each and every time.

The oil change place should have stated on the paperwork how they filled and noticed/corrected at that time.

Chick

Reaction score
They put on the paperwork 7 quarts. I guess they didn't check the dip stick. Anyway, after draining 2 filters worth of oil out, the level is now correct, and no damage seems to be done. It runs fine, and made the 600 mile trip to Portland with no ill effects.
The tech is a friend that owns a garage in Napa Valley, and I trust him. I am just not to sure about his employees. I told him about the problem, and he has agreed to stand behind any damage that may have occurred.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge