Overheating on 98 Disco.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98GRDisco

My wife and I just brought a used 98 Land Rover Discovery from some one this Disco. as only 60560 miles on it and when my wife was driving today she noticed that the temp gauge was in the red so my wife pulled off the road and called me and I told her to turn on the heater to keep from over heating and then look for a service station to pull into and ask them to check the fluids they told her everything was ok. I need to know if yall think that its the temp guage gone bad or if its the coolent temp sensor gone bad she purchased a temp sensor but before I install it I would like to know if it is the problem.

N

NHESS81

id say themostat sensor (im thinkin this is what you are calling temp gauge?) might be messed up....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check the following:

Water pump
Thermostat
With engine cold fluid level
use a temp gun with the engine running and check the temp of varies spots on the radiator (they are known for issues)
Also check the fan clutch - if bad it will overheat if sitting in traffic or pulling long hills.

D

drnknmnky13

joey said:
I would check the following:

Water pump
Thermostat
With engine cold fluid level
use a temp gun with the engine running and check the temp of varies spots on the radiator (they are known for issues)
Also check the fan clutch - if bad it will overheat if sitting in traffic or pulling long hills.

Agreed. I would check the thermostat first. Pull it out and put it into a *** with water in it. Heat up the water and see if it opens. To check the fan clutch strat the engine and wait for it to get up to temp. Then pop the hood and see if the fan is spinning. The temp gun is a good idea. But I don't know how much they cost. When the vehicle is cold does the temp gause show it as being cold? Does it rise slowly and just keep going? If so your gauge is probably fine. I say probably cause you just never know :). Vague enough?

Good luck :)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Temp gun can be purchase for less than $50 up to over $200 depending on what you want.

J

JerryT

I have this same problem, after a drive and i turn the truck off I do hear the electric fan going. Is this different the the fan with the fan clutch? How do you check to see if you have a bad or failing water pump? What is the best way to check if your radiator is clogged?
Thanks for your help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The fan you hear running after the vehicle is off is the A/C fans, and yes they are in front of the radiator. Where as the fan with clutch is behind the radiator/in front of the water pump.

Water pump failing would be indicated by it leaking water, or lack of flow in the system.

Radiador clog checking is best done by a flow test at a radiator shop, but you can also use a temp gun to find cold spots.

M

meyersd

JerryT said:
I have this same problem, after a drive and i turn the truck off I do hear the electric fan going. Is this different the the fan with the fan clutch? How do you check to see if you have a bad or failing water pump? What is the best way to check if your radiator is clogged?
Thanks for your help.

I have a '98 Disco LSE, and I went through hell trying to get the overheating problem diagnosed correctly. In hot weather or if the motor is hot, your electric fans should come on, especially if you have the A/C running. The radiator in the truck is big enought to keep the Rover v8 resonably cool in moderate weather, even when clogged. But when you factor in outside temps. reaching near 100 and the load of the A/C, that motor is going to overheat.

The only way to check to see if or how clogged your radiator is, is to go to a GOOD radiator shop or a trusted mechanic that works on Rovers a lot. I went through a month of hell trying to figure out the overheating problem. Two mechanics, a radiator guy, a fan clutch, new radiator and $2000 later, my problem was fixed. I made the mistake of going to another mechanic that "has worked on rovers" to diagnose the orignal problem instead of my regular Rover mechanic. Bottom line was another mechanic installed a fan clutch wrong or used a crappy part. My mechanic was able to diagnose the radiator problem AND the clutch problem. He never charged me to fix the clutch problem.

Don't let the car keep overheating. The engine is aluminum, and eventually you will melt your heads...:mad:

J

JerryT

hello all,
I replaced the thermostat, both radiator hoses, The one on the bottom developed a small leak at one of the unions. Took the radiator out, and to the radiator shop to have it cored. It is still over heating while the A/C is on. The outside temp. was 101.
The water pump seems to be working, no leaks, or sounds. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink