Overheating on 98 Disco.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the fan doing its job? Sounds like either the fan clutch is bad, or worse you have a clogged water port in the engine or even worse a bad head gasket or cracked head.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, have you tested with another temp sensor to make sure it isn't just a bad sensor?

J

JerryT

Got the truck back together this evening. Drove it without the fan shroud and it started to over heat. I put the fan shroud back on and drove it, no over heating. Then tested it with the A/C on and it started to over heat. What is up with this A/C?
I do not know much about A/C systems. Any Ideas?
JT

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check to see how much of a draw the A/C fans a using... could be the electric fans are going bad, or could still be the clutch fan. Remember the clutch fun is heat activated. Spin the fan before going on a drive (first thing when cold engine off) get a feel for the resistance. Then take for a short drive (enough to get the engine warm), shut the engine off and check the resistance again. It should not spin as easy as when cold.

98GRDisco

it was the tempature sensor i replaced it and now no problems

P

penguinpwrd

meyersd said:
The radiator in the truck is big enought to keep the Rover v8 resonably cool in moderate weather, even when clogged. But when you factor in outside temps. reaching near 100 and the load of the A/C, that motor is going to overheat.

I disagree. These vehicles are engineered to run at extremely high temps for a very, very long time (think Sahara, or Baja). If your truck is overheating - it isn't the vehicle, it is a faulty component.

M

meyersd

Try running your truck with a clogged radiator in 90+ degrees with the A/C on. You'll see how far you'll get. That Sahara/baja stuff is for the movies.

P

poolorpond

I agree with meyersd. Pengwinpwrd's statement is overconfident. Yes, components do fail. But the issues with rover heating problems are well documented everywhere but this website.

However, meyersd is wrong about the heads "melting". The heads usually come out of this unscathed. The problem occurs in the block and continues to get worse over time until the block fails.

98GRDisco

you tried the tempature sensor thats what the problem was on mine

F

fbrems

Hey Rover Fans, Sahara driving is not only in the movies. I agree that with a clogged radiator you will not get far, and the heating on rovers is a well known issue. Just last week my wife's 2001-RR with only 40.000km on the meter got stuck due to overheating which is still a mystery (ref. to RR thread). But my 1998-Disco, which I am using daily for work, mostly desert (soft sand) driving with temperatures reaching 50C/122F from June to October, the temperature gauge never got over the middle and to avoid being cooked alive, I drive with the AC on all the time. I have to mention that I removed the thermostat, it gave me too many problems earlier and every 50k I replace the water pump and belts as prevention and never got a clogged radiator. So, you definitely can drive your disco (as all other cars) in extreme hot weather, considering of course that all the relevant components are in working condition.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink