P*ss poor gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Buckeye

Reaction score
When I first got the truck my gas mileage was awful (12-13MPG), I think it was because I was mostly driving in D and I was following my own break in... I TRIED not to take it over 4K RPM and 70 MPH for the first 1,000 miles. I am a very spirited driver and just came out of a ZO6 so this thing is a tank to me.

Once I got over 1,000 miles I drove in S mode, how I normally drive and saw better numbers... (14-15MPG). Also drove from N.Y. to Ohio (around 820 miles round trip) for a friends wedding and got 17.5 MPG for the entire trip.

I also notice that while driving around town I get better gas mileage when in S rather than D. S mode gear placement is more suited for my driving style.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from our wedding up in NH. First long road trip. Couldn't be happier with the the LR4. I was very pleased to have gotten up to 20 mpg on the way up and almost 19 on the way back. (To and from VA) We had the seats folded down and the truck packed with luggage, dog, cooler, etc, etc. So comfortable. Very pleased.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Just got back from our wedding up in NH. First long road trip. Couldn't be happier with the the LR4. I was very pleased to have gotten up to 20 mpg on the way up and almost 19 on the way back. (To and from VA) We had the seats folded down and the truck packed with luggage, dog, cooler, etc, etc. So comfortable. Very pleased.

Don't think I believe that.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can believe that if you are looking at the onboard computer but if you calculate, you will be around 17-17.5.

I don't think it is possible to get better than that unless your try some serious hypermiling techniques. This is only my opinion after 4k miles on the LR4.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me break it down for the slower or more skeptical in the group. It is 290 miles from Where I was in CT to where I drove to in VA. When I left I had less than a full tank. It was just over 3/4 full. I made it all the way home without filling up. The on board computer was 19.1 and if you do the math I'm figuring liberally 290 on 15 gallons which would be 19.33 mpg or conservatively 290 on 16 gallons which is 18.125 mpg. Does everyone follow. And by everyone I mean gfcronus.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
Let me break it down for the slower or more skeptical in the group. It is 290 miles from Where I was in CT to where I drove to in VA. When I left I had less than a full tank. It was just over 3/4 full. I made it all the way home without filling up. The on board computer was 19.1 and if you do the math I'm figuring liberally 290 on 15 gallons which would be 19.33 mpg or conservatively 290 on 16 gallons which is 18.125 mpg. Does everyone follow. And by everyone I mean gfcronus.

You said above that the wedding was in NH. Now you say you were in CT. See? The lies just keep piling up.

By the way, "just over 3/4 full" is more like 17 gallons, not 15. Now do the math.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:: gas mileage war!

All of a sudden this place here has become full of emotional violence and pent-up rage:mad:

Oh. yeah, I am averaging now 18 mpg. according to my computer, after 800 miles: am I a lethargic driver?

Last edited:

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CT is halfway to NH *******. Anymore questuins before you get back to your pathetic life?

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we bought gas guzzlers. why are we surprised that our cars are guzzling gas? is 1-3 mpg difference that important to you? because not all cars are created equal. none of us will have the exact mpgs right out of the factory. let's just enjoy the ride, shall we?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635