P*ss poor gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
CT is halfway to NH *******. Anymore questuins before you get back to your pathetic life?

Wow, the language on this board. Let's hope a moderator doesn't see it.

Anyway, I was just pointing out the discrepancy between your original post about where you tracked your mileage from to your followup post, as well as your misestimation about the number of gallons in a "just over 3/4 full" tank. Remember, the LR4's gas tank capacity is 22.8 gallons. Three-fourths of that would be 17.1. "Just over 3/4" would probably be somewhere around 17.5. So you see, I was cutting you a break by calculating with 17, instead of 17.5 or even 17.1.

I would be interested in your calculations for the 20 miles per gallon you claimed on your way up from Virginia to NH or CT or wherever it was.

By the way, when the EPA tests a car for fuel efficiency, I don't think they "eyeball" the fuel gauge to determine how many gallons are in the vehicle. I think there is a bit more scientific rigor in their calculations.

Last edited:

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we bought gas guzzlers. why are we surprised that our cars are guzzling gas? is 1-3 mpg difference that important to you? because not all cars are created equal. none of us will have the exact mpgs right out of the factory. let's just enjoy the ride, shall we?

That is a good point. I wish that they had a larger tank so I didn't need to fill up every 5-6 days. That what sucks the most - going to the gas station so often. I barely get 250-260 miles to each tank. Would have been nice to get 350-400.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good point. I wish that they had a larger tank so I didn't need to fill up every 5-6 days. That what sucks the most - going to the gas station so often. I barely get 250-260 miles to each tank. Would have been nice to get 350-400.

that i totally agree with. our tanks are rather petite for its appetite.

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
2400 miles on trip from Phoenix - Park City UT, Jackson Hole WY, Round and Round Yellowstone, and back to Phoenix - driving speeds up averaging 60 - 80 mph up to the park and then 20 - 50 mph in the park... and then on return trip 65 - 90 mph. MPG was 19.6. This was up and down mountains to 8000 ft. I definitely saw the MPG drop when I was driving over 80 mph in stretches of UT or it would have been even better.

For the size of the truck - I can't complain - as our old Toyota Sequoia never saw anything over 16 mpg going downhill both ways.

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 Nissan Pathfinder which I had before the LR4 had a 4L 6cylinder that had 270 HP. It never got the same numbers as the LR4 will get on the hwy. In town it did a little better, but not by much.

Rob

p-dawger

Reaction score
It's easy to get 20-22 miles per gallon highway. You just need to rack up the miles. At 1000k I was at 16-18 at 26k I am 20-22. It will get better and better the more things get broken in and flow better.

I can get 23 mpg highway in my 2001 Disco II with 200k miles on it.

It's a fact.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally expected poor gas mileage, so it's all fine with me. Like you guys, I do wish the LR4 had a larger gas tank. As I approach 4,000 miles, I can definitely see my MPGs improving.

If I wanted amazing gas mileage, I would not have bought an LR4. It's still cool to see what people can get for MPGs.

-David

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
21 MPG on my Discovery 4, but it's a V6 Turbo Diesel. A 400+ mile range isn't bad either

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally expected poor gas mileage, so it's all fine with me. Like you guys, I do wish the LR4 had a larger gas tank. As I approach 4,000 miles, I can definitely see my MPGs improving.

If I wanted amazing gas mileage, I would not have bought an LR4. It's still cool to see what people can get for MPGs.

-David

At nearly 5000 miles I'm seeing a slight improvement as well.

There was a Motortrend video comparison that said something about the LR4 having the group low MPG rating. The quote ended with "once you drive the LR4, you won't care"

That was a very true statement...

I'm sure you've all seen it but here's a link to the review:

Comparison: Land Rover LR4 vs Lexus GX 460 vs Mercedes GL450 - YouTube

Marty

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At nearly 5000 miles I'm seeing a slight improvement as well.

There was a Motortrend video comparison that said something about the LR4 having the group low MPG rating. The quote ended with "once you drive the LR4, you won't care"

That was a very true statement...

I'm sure you've all seen it but here's a link to the review:

Comparison: Land Rover LR4 vs Lexus GX 460 vs Mercedes GL450 - YouTube

Marty
Hey Marty,

Thanks for the video. I love it! I agree with the video, it's a great truck!

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635